The idea of making apple brownies came from mom this time. She says she ate it at a place on the way when dad and she was travelling and she can’t forget how scrumptious it was! When she saw a basket of crispy green apples I bought from bazaar, she suggested making these brownies. After making this Chocolate and Zucchini Cake, I knew I could combine anything with chocolate. If it works with zucchini, it must work better with apples, right?
Apple is one of my favorite fruit and it is possible to see many varieties at bazaar these days since we are in Fall. I find Fall apples always tastier, so I love to make something based on apples this season. There are not many apple desserts in Turkey. Apple rolls are the most common one and I do love it, but why not try new things? So I accepted mom’s sugestion without thinking twice! Well, I was planning to try a classic apple pie with my honey green apples, but it has to wait for some more time. Hope I can make it before the season ends!
I slightly adapted the recipe from Meliha’s Elmali Browni, which is the Turkish name of these brownies and it turned out just perfect! I’d love to thank her here for this fool proof recipe. I used whole wheat flour as usual and you don’t feel any difference. Whole wheat makes it healthier too, right? Also, she used hazelnuts for topping, but I love to pair apple with walnuts, so I used them instead.
I wasn’t sure about the duration of baking, so I tested with a toothpick after 35 minutes. I was almost disappointed when I saw it came out that clean. I thought I overbaked it since I wanted my brownies moist. I had had almost no hope until I sliced it. It was just perfectly moist! Apples make a great balance between the sweetness of sugar and bitterness of cocoa powder. A refreshing layer is waiting for you in these brownies!
Mom says these are even better than the ones she ate on her journey. If you love combining chocolate and fruit as much as we do, you must give these apple brownies a try!
Fudgy apple brownies will become your favorite apple dessert, I promise!
See our other chocolate recipe videos here:
Fudgy Apple Brownies
Fudgy brownies with chocolate and apples.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8
- 150g butter
- 80g dark chocolate
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 apples, 3/4 cup when finely grated
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons walnut, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 9×13 inch baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a small heat proof bowl over simmering water. Let it reach room temperature.
- Mix eggs and sugar with an electric mixer. until creamy.
- Add in finely grated apples and mix.
- Pour in melted chocolate and butter. Keep mixing.
- Add cocoa powder and mix with a spatula.
- Mix flour, vanilla and baking powder in a separate bowl. Slowly add them sifting into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Toss ground walnuts on it and bake fore 35 minutes.
- Let it cool down before cutting into squares.