These Chocolate Apple Brownies are soft and moist. Finely grated apple gives a nice sweet and light flavor that balances the taste of dark chocolate. A perfect fall treat!
I'm sure you've seen the combination of chocolate and zucchini hundreds of times. One of our readers' all time favorite recipe is Yogurt Chocolate Zucchini Bread, so it's obvious that zucchini goes perfectly in chocolate recipes. How about trying apples this time? The idea of making apple brownies came from mom. When she saw a basket of crispy green apples I bought from bazaar, she suggested making these brownies. If it works with zucchini, it must work even better with apples. No?
Although Turkish apple pie bite cookies are my favorite apple recipe, I love to create new things. So mom’s suggestion was a good challenge to me. I accepted it without thinking twice! Well, the recipe in my mind was a classic apple pie, but it has to wait for some more time. Hope I can make it before the season ends!
How To Make
First, melt chocolate and butter in a heat heat proof bowl over simmering water. Set it aside so that it reaches room temperature.
Second, use an electric mixer and cream the eggs and sugar. Fold in the finely grated apple and melted chocolate mixture.
Third, gradually add in cocoa powder, whole wheat flour and baking powder. Mix with a spatula just until combined. Don't over-mix. Pour it in a parchment lined 9x13 inch pan.
Finally; if you like nuts, you can sprinkle some crumbled walnuts or pecans and then bake for 35 minutes.
Note About Baking duration
I wasn’t sure about the duration of baking these apple brownies, so I tested with a toothpick after 35 minutes. It was disappointing to see the toothpick clean. I thought it was over-baked since I love my brownies moist. To my surprise, it was perfectly moist when sliced! Checking yourself after 30 minutes is the best to see how long is okay for you.
Apples make a great balance between the sweetness of sugar and bitterness of cocoa powder. A refreshing layer is waiting for you in these brownies!
Mom says these are just as she expected them to be. If you love combining chocolate and fruit as much as we do, you must give this apple chocolate brownie recipe a try!
These brownies will become your favorite apple dessert, I promise!
Other Apple Desserts
As always: If you make this recipe, let us know what you think by rating it and leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!
Fudgy Apple Brownies
Fudgy brownies with chocolate and apples.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 5 oz (150g) butter
- 3 oz (80g) dark chocolate
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 apples, ¾ cup when finely grated
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 and ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons walnut, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a small heat proof bowl over simmering water. Let it reach room temperature.
- Mix eggs and sugar with an electric mixer. until creamy.
- Add in finely grated apples and mix.
- Pour in melted chocolate and butter. Keep mixing.
- Add cocoa powder and mix with a spatula.
- Mix flour, vanilla and baking powder in a separate bowl. Slowly add them sifting into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Toss ground walnuts on it and bake fore 35 minutes.
- Let it cool down before cutting into squares.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 275
- Sugar: 22.4 g
- Sodium: 214.6 mg
- Fat: 15.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.5 g
- Protein: 4.1 g
- Cholesterol: 73.8 mg
Keywords: apple brownies, apple brownie recipe