I must warn you right at the beginning of this post: These chese stuffed meatballs are extremely addictive! Do you already have a favorite meatball recipe and don’t need a new one? I’m quite sure that you will change your mind once you try these utterly tasty meatballs packed with kasar cheese!
These are so good that you will be making them so often and it will become your second favorite meatball recipe! If you love meatball recipes, you might want to see our Izmir kofte recipe too.
So what makes these meatballs that irresistible? Imagine the melting cheese that welcomes you at your first bite, can anyone resist this? I used kasar cheese to stuff the meatballs, but you can replace it with mozarella or another type of cheese. Just make sure that the cheese you use is not juicy as it could be hard to keep them inside when frying.
Stuffing meatballs is such a fun activity that you can make that step with the whole family. It’s like you are hiding cheese balls inside meatballs. Let me share a secret with you to make the stuffing easier. Grate the cheese finely, make mini balls from it pressing and squeezing them with your fingers to make them hold together and wait in the freezer for 30 minutes. They won’t be loose anymore and you can pack the meatballs with cheese balls much easier this way.
You can just cube the cheese too, which is a lot easier and faster, but I find it a bit harder to close the meatballs with that cheese cube inside.
The second thing about these cheese stuffed meatballs that makes everyone drool is the coating on the outer side. I used a mixture of honey and homemade pomegranate molasses to give my cheese stuffed meatballs a little a caramelization and a shiny look besides a tangy and sweet flavor.
Don’t you think cheese stuffed meatballs with caramelized coating make wonderful party food too? If you are looking for an appetizer to enjoy at the Super Bowl-watching party, you should give this a try! Your guests will admire you when you serve them these meatballs and you should be prepared for more guests the next day!
More Meat Recipes
As always: If you make this recipe, let us know what you think by rating it and leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!
Cheese Stuffed Meatballs
Meatballs stuffed with cheese and caramelized with honey and pomegranate molasses.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Yield: 23 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
- 350g lean ground beef
- 150g ground lamb
- 1 onion, grated and juice removed
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 150g cheese, kasar or mozarella, grated
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp olive oil to fry
- 2 tbsp parsley, minced
- Make mini balls from grated cheese and wait in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Mix ground beef and lamb with grated onion.
- Add salt, black pepper and cumin and mix until combined well.
- Cover it and chill for 30 minutes.
- Scoop out balls from the mixture, flatten it and place mini cheese balls in the middle.
- Pat meatballs firmly together in a round shape.
- Heat olive oil in an iron skillet and cook meatballs for about 10 minutes turning them over occasionally.
- Mix honey and pomegranate molasses and add it into the pan when the meatballs are almost done.
- Let them get caramelized and have a shiny outer side.
- A little cheese might ooze when frying, don’t worry.
- Serve hot with a little minced parsley on the top.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 85
- Sugar: 2.4 g
- Sodium: 176.2 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.9 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 18.6 mg
Keywords: cheese stuffed meatballs, meatballs stuffed with cheese, cheese stuffed meatball recipe