Creamy Chicken Orzo Soup is the best soup to welcome the cold weather appearing around us these days. It is easy to make, skinny and super comforting.
This Creamy Chicken Orzo Soup is skinny because there is no heavy cream in it. I used milk instead and I find it tastier this way. Chicken is already giving a very pleasing taste to the soup, so there is no need for an extra outstanding flavor. I mostly use a mixture of milk and flour for the soup recipes calling for heavy cream as in one of our favorite winter soups, Cream of Vegetable Soup. And we always love the result. Flour and milk mixture gives the soup a nice creamy texture with a nice milky flavor that is much ligher than heavy cream.
You can make many soups with chicken and I’ve already shared three chicken soup recipes on Give Recipe. Yusuf’s all time favorite is Tomato Chicken Orzo Soup because he likes his soups with a reddish color, which comes from either pureed tomatoes or pepper paste. Check out our soup category to see even more comforting soups with or without chicken.
I always make this Creamy Chicken Orzo Soup more than we need because I like it when we have leftover soup in the fridge for the next day. It is a great feeling to know that you already have a hearty soup in the fridge when you come back from work. The only thing you need to do is to heat it up and add a little hot water if the soup has got thicker.
Now go make this soup for dinner today and please your taste buds while strengthening your immune system!
More chicken soup recipes I’d love to try:
Chicken and Wild Rice Soup on Recipe Runner
Chicken Corn Carrot Soup on Munaty Cooking
Chicken Tortilla Soup on Use Real Butter
Easy Moroccan Chicken Soup on Chew Out Loud
Thai Inspired Chicken Noddle Soup on Spice Chronicles
Easy Chicken Parm Soup on An Edible Mosaic
Crockpot Chicken Tomato Soup on Kleinworth Co
Chicken Quinoa and Coriander Soup on Supergolden Bakes
As always: If you make this recipe, let us know what you think by rating it and leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!Print
Creamy Chicken Orzo Soup
A healing soup with chicken, orzo, vegetables and herbs.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Turkish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 and ¾ cups chicken breasts, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup orzo
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- A handful of chopped parsley
- A handful of chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- In a large pot, heat olive oil. Sautee onion and carrot on medium low heat for about 10 minutes
- Pour in the chicken broth and roughly chopped chicken breast. Bring it to boil and add in orzo. Simmer until the chicken and orzo are tender, for about 20 minutes.
- Mix milk and flour in a bowl until smooth and pour it into the pot. Stir occasionally until the soup boils and thickens.
- Bring it to the lowest heat and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile season it with salt and pepper.
- Finally toss in parsley and spinach. Pour lemon juice and stir.
- Take it from heat and serve immediately.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 161
- Sugar: 7.3 g
- Sodium: 1372.6 mg
- Fat: 5.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.7 g
- Protein: 8.5 g
- Cholesterol: 12.6 mg
Keywords: chicken soup, chicken orzo soup