Orange Chocolate Pumpkin Bread makes a perfect surprise to your taste buds. This is an orange flavored chocolate bread with shredded fresh pumpkin, pumpkin seeds and chocolate chips. A one-bowl bread that is a real winner for holidays!
This chocolate pumpkin bread recipe is an adaptation of my Chocolate Zucchini Bread, which is our readers’ all time favorite summer recipe. I know what you love best in that zucchini bread is the moistness which is coming from shredded zucchini and yogurt. So why not make a similar recipe using pumpkin?
I’ve shared several recipes that call for pumpkin puree. I even made my own pumpkin puree and put it in bags in the freezer to use in several more recipes. Do you still buy it in cans? Watch our How to make pumpkin puree video and see how easy it is!
Anyway let’s get back to this UH-MAZING Orange Chocolate Pumpkin Bread. You’ve heard it right. This recipe is not calling for pumpkin puree although I have a ton of it in the freezer, I used fresh pumpkin instead. You know I had been planning to make this since summer and I was so intrigued by the idea in my mind.
Shredded fresh pumpkin in chocolate bread. Sounds weird? I guarantee you will love it as much as our super moist chocolate zucchini bread. You don’t need pumpkin puree at all if you have fresh pumpkin on hand. Isn’t it great?
Not only is this orange scented chocolate pumpkin bread so yummy, it is relatively healthy as well. I used little olive oil and homemade yogurt in the batter.
Another healthy ingredient in the recipe is pumpkin seeds. They give a wonderful crunchiness to the bread. Plus, they are healthy too!
With this orange chocolate pumpkin bread recipe, I’m joining a virtual pumpkin party held by Sara of Cake over Steak. I’d love to thank her for gathering us around pumpkin theme. If you can never have enough pumpkin and love it as much as I do, you should see all the pumpkin recipes ranging from savory to sweet dishes that other bloggers share.
See our other chocolate recipe videos here:
Orange Chocolate Pumpkin Bread
An orange flavored chocolate bread with shredded fresh pumpkin, pumpkin seeds and chocolate chips.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 1 loaf 1x
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: American
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 and ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 and ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 and ¾ cups grated fresh pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter a 9” by 5” loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the eggs and sugar until creamy. Add in vanilla extract, olive oil and yogurt. Mix well.
- Sift flour, baking powder and cocoa powder into the bowl and mix using a whisk.
- Add in fresh pumpkin, orange zest, chocolate chips and pumpkin seeds into the batter and stir just until everthing combines well. Don’t overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the bread in the pan to room temperature before removing.
- Slice and serve.