Love coconut desserts? Looking for an easy recipe? I’ve got you covered. Make the traditional Coconut Ice Squares with a chocolate twist and double the joy! You won’t believe how simple these treats are.
Coconut is one of the great ingredients in desserts as it gives a nice tropic touch on treats. So we use it in several sweet recipes, but we had never heard of coconut ice before we moved to UK.
What Is Coconut Ice?
It is a classic British treat made with desiccated coconut, icing sugar and condensed milk. It is such an easy dessert that anyone can make it at home. No professional skills are required. It is traditionally a no-bake coconut dessert that is mostly made in two layers one of which is mixed with a little pink food coloring.
We made a twist on the classic recipe and used cocoa powder and nutella in the bottom layer instead of food coloring. If you love the combination of coconut and chocolate flavors, you have to make it this way.
How To Make Coconut Ice Squares With Chocolate
The recipe is quite straightforward:
- First, combine the desiccated coconut, icing sugar and condensed milk in a large bowl. Mix it really well.
- Second, transfer half of it in a medium size bowl. Add in cocoa powder and nutella to this bowl and mix well.
- Third, pour the mixture with chocolate flavor in a parchment paper lined square brownie tin. Press on it with slightly wet fingers so that you get a flat surface.
- Fourth, spoon the remaining white mixture on the chocolate layer and flatten with your fingers again.
- Finally (and optionally), place strawberry slices on the top. Imagine one strawberry slice for one square. And bake at 320F/160C for 30 minutes or until the edges are golden.
Want A No-Bake Coconut Ice Fudge Recipe?
As in the traditional recipe, you can make your squares no-bake. We just wanted a chewier and golden texture, so baked it. If you don’t want to bother doing it, just skip baking and make it a no-bake treat. How?
After fourth step above, leave it uncovered in a cool place to set for at least 5 hours, overnight is the best. Then cut it into squares and store in an airtight container.
Alternative Layer Ideas
We wanted a slight chocolate flavor, so used both cocoa powder and nutella as a bottom layer. But you can get creative in this part and use another ingredient depending on your taste. For example, you can puree your favorite seasonal fresh fruit or dried fruit, combine it with half of the coconut mixture and make it the bottom layer.
How Long Does It Keep?
Keep your coconut squares in an airtight container for 3-4 days at room temperature.
Can I Make This Coconut Ice Recipe Vegan?
Yes. You can make it vegan by making your plant-based condensed milk. Mix together 2 cups coconut milk or almond milk with ¾ cup sugar. Heat until sugar dissolves. LEt it simmer for 45 minutes or until it gets thick. Don’t mix it when it is simmering. Pour in a jar and let it cool.
Besides making a vegan condensed milk, you should leave nutella out if you want a completely vegan treat. Just cocoa powder would work fine too.
What Is Desiccated Coconut?
Desiccated coconut is dried coconut. You can find it sweetened or unsweetened, shredded coarsely or finely. We use unsweetened, finely shredded coconut in this recipe.
How Do You Make Desiccated Coconut From Fresh Coconut?
Preheat the oven to 250F/120C. Blend coconut chunks in a food processor until fine. Place it on a baking sheet and bake 10-15 minutes. Remove and give it a stir. If it is still moist, bake for another 5 minutes.
Other coconut recipes you might like are as follows:
As always: If you make this recipe–or any recipes on Give Recipe–let us know what you think by leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!Print
Chocolate Bottom Coconut Ice Recipe
Coconut ice squares with a chocolate bottom and strawberry top.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: British
- 4 cups desiccated coconut
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tin/395g/14 ounces condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons nutella, optional
- 6 strawberries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 320F/160C. Oil a 8x8 square cake tin and line it with parchment paper. Put aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the desiccated coconut, icing sugar and condensed milk. Mix it really well.
- Transfer half of it in a medium size bowl. Add in cocoa powder and nutella to this bowl and mix well.
- Pour the mixture with chocolate flavor in the parchment paper lined square tin. Press on it with slightly wet fingers so that you get a flat surface.
- Spoon the remaining white mixture on the chocolate layer and flatten with your fingers again.
- Finally (and optionally), place strawberry slices on the top. Imagine one strawberry slice for one square. And bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are golden.
Keywords: coconut ice, coconut ice squares, coconut ice fudge