Turkish Sumac Onions Recipe
Raw red onions are marinated with salt, sumac and lemon juice. Then it is combined with chopped parsley.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Combining
- Cuisine: Turkish
- 2 large onions
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pomegranate molasses
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Peel and slice the onions thinly. Put them in a bowl.
- Sprinkle sumac, salt and red pepper flakes over onions. Gently massage them with your hand.
- Add in parsley, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses and olive oil. Stir to combine.
- Serve as a condiment alongside chicken or meat dishes, as a garnish in sandwiches or wraps.
If the onions you use are bitter, sprinkle a little salt over the thin slices and soak them in cold water for 1-2 minutes. Gently squeeze them and drain. This step will remove the bitterness.
Keywords: onion salad, sumac onions, raw onion salad