Homemade Pickling Spice Mix
Create your own aromatic and customizable pickle spice mix at home. This easy-to-follow recipe allows you to craft the perfect blend of spices for pickling and beyond.
- Author: Zerrin & Yusuf
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1/2 cup 1x
- Category: Spice Blend
- Method: Blending
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice berries
- 4 bay leaves, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken into a few pieces
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Put everything in a small bowl and stir to mix.
- Measure out the desired amount and incorporate it into your pickling recipes.
- Keep the leftover mixture in an airtight jar or container. It keeps well for up to one year.
- Use a mortar and pestle to crush the cinnamon sticks and bay leaves into a few pieces.
- All the spices in this recipe are whole spices. Don’t substitute ground spices for them.
- You can always play with the amounts to make your own blend.
- Once your pickle seasoning blend is ready, label the container with the name and date of preparation to keep track of freshness.
- When pickling, consider adding fresh garlic and dill to complement the spice blend and infuse extra flavor into your pickles.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 204
- Sugar: 1.6 g
- Sodium: 59.5 mg
- Fat: 9.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 37.9 g
- Fiber: 19.9 g
- Protein: 7.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: homemade pickling spice