Grilled Halloumi Cheese
Halloumi cheese cut in thick slices and grilled. Then they are served with tomatoes, peppers and a basil olive oil sauce.
- Author: Zerrin & Yusuf
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Snack
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Turkish
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 package (8 oz) halloumi cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup basil
- 1 clove garlic
- A pinch of salt (optional)
- Cherry tomatoes
- Green peppers
- Cut the halloumi in thick slices (about ⅓ inch).
- Brush both sides of each slice with olive oil.
- Heat the grill or grill pan at medium high heat (or use a regular non-stick pan).
- Put the cheese slices in the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden.
- Optionally, you can cook some tomatoes and peppers in the same pan.
- To make the dressing sauce, put olive oil, basil, garlic and salt into a food processor and blend until combined.
- Put the grilled cheese and vegetables on a plate, drizzle the herbed oil sauce over them and serve warm.
- If you find halloumi cheese salty, soak it for about 30 minutes. Pat dry and then slice.
- Don’t slice the cheese very thin. Make them thick, about ⅓ inch.
- The grill or grill pan should be heated (medium-high) before putting the halloumi slices on it.
- Don’t over-cook. 2-3 minutes per side is enough.
- Serve it immediately. It gets a little tough as it cools down.
- Serve with extra drizzle of the oil sauce.
- It is best to eat these fresh right after it is cooked.
- To store: If you somehow have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days.
- To reheat: You can reheat them in a pan over low heat for a minute or so.
- Optional serving ingredients are not included in the nutrition facts.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 804
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 1400.5 mg
- Fat: 78 g
- Carbohydrates: 0.7 g
- Protein: 28.3 g
- Cholesterol: 99.6 mg
Keywords: grilled halloumi, grilled halloumi cheese