Chocolate Beet Cake
Rich and moist chocolate cake with a special ingredient; beetroot. Will make you feel in heaven!
- Author: Zerrin & Yusuf
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup beet puree, explained in the instructions
- 7 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup hot coffee
- 7 ounces butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
for chocolate ganache:
- 80g dark chocolate chips
- 80ml heavy cream
- 1/2 cup crumbled meringues
- Line the bottom of a 8 inch springform pan with parchment paper and butter the edges.
- Boil the beets in water with their skin on until they are very tender, about 45 min to 1 hour. Transfer them into cold water. Remove the skin just by rubbing, chop and puree in a food processor. Put it aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water. When it is melted, add in hot coffee and butter. Stir with a spoon until it is smooth and put it aside. Let it cool for some minutes. Transfer into a large bowl.
- Beat the egg yolks well in a small bowl and briskly stir them into the melted chocolate. Fold in the beets.
- Whip the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff. Gradually fold in the sugar with a spatula, then fold them into the melted chocolate mixture. Don’t over mix.
- Sift together the flour cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Fold in this mixture into the wet mixture.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan. Reduce the heat to 325F (160C) and bake the cake for 50 min.
- When the cake is cooling, prepare the ganache. You can see the chocolate ganache video above to see the steps.
- Heat heavy cream in a small sauce pan until it boils. Take it from the heat and pour over the chocolate chips. Mix well until they melt and it gets smooth. Let it cool for some minutes.
- Pour it over the completely cooled cake. Wait for a few minutes and top with crumbled meringues and sprinkles.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 552
- Sugar: 34.6 g
- Sodium: 87.8 mg
- Fat: 36.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 52.5 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 175.9 mg
Keywords: beet cake, chocolate beet cake, chocolate beetroot cake