Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe
These are the fluffiest vegan pancakes thanks to homemade almond buttermilk.
- Author: Zerrin & Yusuf
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 pancakes 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (use any light colored vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon oil or vegan butter, for frying
- To make the vegan buttermilk, put almond milk in a cup, pour vinegar into it and stir well. Let it sit for a minute until it curdles.
- Add in olive oil and stir well.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk just until combined. Don’t over-mix!
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Brush it with oil or melt ¼ teaspoon vegan butter in it.
- To make equal size, round pancakes, lightly oil a ¼ measuring cup, fill it with the pancake mix and pour it in the pan. You can make one or two pancakes at a time depending on the size of your pan.
- Cook until you see bubbles on the surface, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook the other side for about 1 minute. Repeat for the remaining batter.
- Serve with maple syrup and berries.
- You won’t feel the taste of vinegar at all but you can use lemon juice instead.
- Instead of oil, you can use melted vegan butter.
- Don’t over-mix the batter! You will end up with chewy and thin pancakes otherwise.
- You can use a gluten-free flour blend to make these pancakes gluten-free.
- You can make these ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Reheat in the pan or microwave if you want.
- To freeze, let them completely cool. Put them in a freezer bag with a piece of parchment paper between each. Store in the freezer for 2 months. Reheat them frozen in the microwave oven for about 20 seconds.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 218
- Sugar: 6.4 g
- Sodium: 206.6 mg
- Fat: 5.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 39.4 g
- Protein: 4.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan buttermilk pancakes, vegan pancake recipe