A super yummy Turkish dessert with fruit and wheat, chickpeas and beans.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 12 bowls 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Turkish
- 1 cup wheat (or barley)
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1 and 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup white beans
- 1/4 cup rice
- 1 cup raisin
- ½ cup dried fig & dried apricot, diced
- 1 tablespoon orange or lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 6 fresh figs
- 1 tablespoon pepitas
- Soak wheat, beans, chickpeas and raisin in separate bowls overnight (at least 8 hours before cooking).
- Drain wheat and put it in a pot, fill it with water (about 6 cups) and bring it to boil. Take the foams with a sieve and let it simmer for 40 minutes or until very tender.
- Strain beans and chickpeas and cook them in another pot until tender.
- Wash and drain rice. Add it in the simmering wheat. Cook it over medium low heat until rice is tender. Stir occasionally.
- When water in wheat and rice mixture is about to get thicker (like creamy soup), add sugar, chickpeas and beans. You might need to extra water if it is too thick. Use hot water.
- Slice orange zest in small pieces or just grate it and add into the pot.
- Lastly, add in raisins, chopped apricots and dried figs into the mixture. Keep stirring. Cook it for another 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- Pour it into small bowls, let them cool completely and chill.
- Garnish with cinnamon, pomegranate seeds, fresh figs and pepitas.
If you like, you can sprinkle some crumbled walnut, nut or almond on it before serving.
Keywords: Turkish dessert, asure, ashura, ashure, asure recipe