Tomato Chicken Rice Soup
A very comforting chicken rice soup loaded with flavors and vitamins. A true homemade remedy for cold.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Turkish
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 2 carrots, cut in thick slices
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups water for the broth
- 2 cups water for the soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tomatoes, 3/4 cup when pureed
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1/2 cup boiled chickpeas
- 1/4 cup boiled corn
- 1 cup roughly chopped spinach
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Boil chicken drumsticks with carrot, garlic cloves and black pepper in 6 cups of water until tender.
- Remove the chicken from the broth and shred.
- Heat olive oil in a deep pot. Saute pureed tomatoes and Homemade Tomato Paste with dried mint in it.
- Pour 2 cups of pure water and the chicken broth including carrot and garlic into the pot. Add rice when it boils. Cook until tender.
- Add shredded chicken, chickpeas and corn. Let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Finally add in the spinach, lemon juice and salt. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve hot with croutons.
If the soup gets thicker when it gets cold, just add in some hot water and then heat the soup stirring occasionally.