Stuffed Cabbage Soup with Beef and Rice
Shortcut cabbage rolls in the form of soup.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Turkish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 12 oz lean ground beef
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 cup pureed or diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chopped white cabbage
- 1 and ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried mint
- 3 cups hot water
- ¼ cup rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Fresh mint for garnish, optional
- Heat olive oil in a pot and cook diced onion until translucent. Add in ground beef and 1 tablespoon water. Cook it stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic cloves, pureed tomatoes, cabbage and spices. Cook it covered over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Pour hot water and rice. Bring it to simmer and cook covered until rice is cooked. You can add in a little extra hot water if you think it’s too thick.
- Add in chopped parsley and lemon juice. Remove from heat.
- Garnish with fresh mint and serve.
If your leftover soup gets too thick overnight, add hot water when reheating.
Keywords: cabbage soup, beef and cabbage soup