Turkish gozleme filled with spinach and feta cheese.
- Author: Zerrin & Yusuf
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Turkish
4 cup baby spinach leaves or chopped spinach
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 cup crumbled feta
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil (more to brush cooked gozlemes)
- Combine flour, salt and yeast in a mixing bowl.
- Pour warm water over it and mix with your hand or in a stand mixer until everything holds together. This might take 5-10 minutes.
- Wet the bottom of the bowl and the surface of the dough with your wet hand. Cover the bowl with kitchen towel or a plastic wrap. Let it rest for 40 min. until it doubles in size.
- Dust the counter with a little flour and transfer the dough onto this surface. Deflate the dough, knead it for 1-2 minutes and make a log. Cut it into 6 pieces, shape each into balls. Cover them with a damp kitchen towel to prevent them from drying.
- To make the filling, combine everything in the list in a bowl.
- Grab a dough ball, sprinkle flour all over it. Roll it out thin. Sprinkle little flour as needed when you feel it gets sticky when rolling out. Try to give it a circular shape, but it doesn’t have to look perfect.
- Put about 3 tablespoons of filling on the half of the rolled out dough. Fold the empty half on the filling and seal the edge by firmly pressing on it with your finger tips.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Transfer the gozleme into hot pan. Cook both sides for 3-4 minutes each.
- Put a paper kitchen towel on a large plate and transfer the cooked gozleme on it. Brush it with olive oil and cover with a clean kitchen towel so that the cooked gozlemes keep warm until you finish the remaining dough and filling.
- Repeat the same steps for the remaining dough and filling.
- Optionally cut each in triangles and serve immediately.
- To make the dough without yeast: First, combine the ingredients. Combine 3 cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ cup oil, and ¾ cup water. Mix the ingredients together until a dough ball forms. Second, allow the dough to rest. Place the dough in a slightly wet bowl and allow it to rest for roughly 15-20 minutes. This will help the gluten strands relax and make it easier to roll out.
- When rolling out a dough ball, make sure you cover the rest of with kitchen towel to prevent them from drying.
- After transfering each cooked gözleme onto a plate, brush it with some olive oil and then slightly cover with a kitchen towel to prevent it from getting too crispy.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 329
- Sugar: 2.1 g
- Sodium: 830.5 mg
- Fat: 8.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 51.7 g
- Protein: 11.2 g
- Cholesterol: 22.3 mg
Keywords: gozleme, Turkish gozleme, gözleme