Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup with Roasted Garlic
An incredibly tasty tomato soup that is dairy-free and gluten-free.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Turkish
- 3-5 heads garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups tomatoes, chopped (or use canned tomatoes)
- 2 cups hot water
- ¼ cup cold water for thinning rice flour
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- ¼ cup peas
- 2 tablespoons red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons croutons
- Start with roasting garlic. Preheat oven at 400F. Wrap garlic heads in foil and roast them for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile you can prepare the soup. Heat olive oil in a medium soup pot. Add chopped onion and sauté until onions are transparent over medium low heat.
- Add in tomato paste and cook for a minute, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and stir well. Cover the pot and let the tomatoes release juice. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Pour water over tomatoes and let them cook together for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the rice flour and cold water. Pour this in the pot and stir occasionally. It will thicken in about 5 minutes.
- Remove the soup from heat, add in the roasted and peeled garlic cloves. Blend it with a hand blender. Put it back on the heat and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Serve in bowls garnishing with chia seeds, peas, red bell pepper and croutons.
If you are using fresh or frozen peas, just blanch them for 2 minutes. You can just skip this step for canned peas.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 219
- Sugar: 6.6g
- Sodium: 679mg
- Fat: 8.9g
- Carbohydrates: 31.9g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 0.5mg
Keywords: tomato soup, vegan soup recipe