Sigara Boregi (Feta Cheese Rolls)
Sigara Börek are crispy filo rolls filled with cheese and parsley. Incredibly tasty snack both for kids and adults.
- Author: Zerrin & Yusuf
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Total Time: 34 minutes
- Yield: 16 1x
- Category: Snack
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Turkish
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 8 phyllo sheets, thawed
- water, to brush the phyllo sheets
- ½ cup oil to fry the boreks
- Before starting to make sigara boregi, make sure to thaw the phyllo dough if it is frozen by keeping it at room temperature for 2-3 hours.
- Prepare the filling: In a medium mixing bowl, combine feta cheese and mozzarella with chopped parsley.
- Cut the phyllo sheets into squares: Place a phyllo sheet on a flat surface. Cover the remaining sheets with a damp kitchen towel to prevent them from drying out. Brush the filo sheet with water. Place another sheet right on this one. Brush it with water as well. Now cut it into 4 equal pieces using a knife. Don't forget to cover the filo sheets with a kitchen towel each time you get one to stuff and roll.
- Make the rolls: Put a square-shaped filo sheet on the counter like a diamond shape. And put about 1 and 1/2 tablespoons cheese mixture on the bottom side leaving some room at each side. Fold the bottom tip over the cheese. Then fold both sides on this one and make a tight roll. Brush the top edge with water so that it sticks when rolled. Roll it up and put it aside. Repeat these steps for the remaining phyllo dough sheets.
- Fry the rolls: Heat oil in a pan (about 2 inches of oil) and fry the phyllo cheese rolls in batches until they get golden on all sides. It takes about 5-7 minutes. Make sure you transfer them on paper towel to remove the excessive oil. Serve them warm. Yummy!
- Remember to cover the phyllo dough sheets with a damp kitchen towel after removing them from the package so that they won't dry out.
- Make sure to secure the filling well to prevent the cheese from oozing when frying.
- Don't overfill the rolls, otherwise the cheese filling will easily ooze.
- If the cheese starts to ooze when frying your sigara börek, it will splatter hot oil. So be careful not to burn your hands.
- Don't overcrowd the pan, otherwise the temperature of the oil will reduce and your rolls won't be fried well.
- To prepare a simple yogurt sauce: Mix Greek yogurt, red pepper flakes and dried mint well. And serve this in a bowl on the side of your sigara borek.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 124
- Sugar: 0.5 g
- Sodium: 184.9 mg
- Fat: 9.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.7 g
- Protein: 4.3 g
- Cholesterol: 9.6 mg
Keywords: sigara borek, sigara boregi, cheese rolls