This Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Bread is no different from a regular chocolate cake. It is wonderfully rich and moist. Plus, nobody can understand the zucchini inside.
This post was originally published in 2015 and we’re updating it today with some additional information.
Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Bread could definitely be served as a special occasion cake when topped with a wonderful lemon glaze and garnished with fresh raspberries or whatever berries you have on hand. This is such a wonderful chocolate cake that nobody can realize it’s completely vegan and has zucchini inside. Intrigued? Keep reading to learn more about this almost healthy chocolate cake.
Zucchini has been one of my favorite vegetables since we started this blog, about 8 years ago. I’ve tried lots of recipes with it from savory to sweet and I just regret those years when I didn’t have a good relationship with this super healthy vegetable. Can you believe that I’ve shared more than 30 zucchini recipes on the blog? Thinking that there might be people who have to follow a gluten-free diet, I put all my gluten-free zucchini recipes in a list last month. We don’t have celiac disease but love all 15+ Gluten-Free Zucchini Recipes in the list and make them every summer.
I’m always amazed at how tasty it comes out whenever I try a new zucchini recipe. That’s why any new zucchini recipe is welcomed in our home because I know you can’t go wrong with it. I made a list of 25+ Best Zucchini Recipes from around the web and
planning to try them all this summer have tried several of them. Go check that list if you love zucchini as much as I do.
This Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Bread is perfectly moist inside and it gets even better when chilled. One of our readers’ most loved dessert recipes on the blog is Chocolate and Yogurt Zucchini Bread, which has a brownie moistness but almost guilt-free at the same time as it has yogurt and little olive oil. I wanted to make an equally yummy sweet bread this time but with no eggs or dairy products at all. I was amazed when I ended up with almost the same thing, I just didn’t use any chocolate chips because we didn’t have vegan chocolate chips on hand. You can add some if you have.
As I wanted our
2-year-old 4-year-old gourmet could taste this amazing thing, it had to be totally vegan. It was a big surprise for him when I put the whole bread on the table because he hadn’t had a chocolate cake for a long time. He loved it! He already loves Vegan Zucchini Bread, but he said this one was like a birthday cake.
Note: Our son is no longer allergic to dairy products or eggs, but we still make this bread from time to time because he loves it! Moreover, it has some super foods like flax meal and chia seeds.
If you need to watch your diet but have a strong sweet tooth or if you’re looking for a wonderful vegan dessert, just try this vegan chocolate zucchini bread. If this can’t take you to heaven, I don’t know what can.
This is a vegan bread with some healthy ingredients like ground flax seed and chia seeds. I used them in place of egg. I also used two large ripe bananas to help ingredients hold together while giving a good moistness.
About the Topping of this Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- No bread looks more elegant if it doesn’t have a glaze or topping, so I used a fresh lemon glaze on this bread.
- If you want even more chocolate flavor, you can go with a vegan chocolate ganache as in this Vegan chocolate Cake.
- I also garnished with fresh raspberries, but this part is totally up to you. I think they give a good refreshment to the cake and we need this on hot summer days, don’t we?
See our other chocolate recipe videos here:
Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Bread
A super moist chocolate zucchini bread that is dairy-free and egg-free.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Vegan
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Chocolate Zucchini Bread:
- 2 and 3/4 cups shredded and squeezed zucchini
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries for garnish
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl mix ground flax seed and chia seeds with water and wait for 5 minutes so that it gets thicker.
- In a large bowl whisk together the sunflower oil and mashed banana. Add in the flax seed and chia seed mixture.
- Mix in the sugar.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder and sift this mixture into the wet ingredients. Give it a stir and fold in shredded and squeezed zucchini.
- Pour it into a greased loaf pan and bake for 65 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let it cool until room temperature.
- Meanwhile prepare the lemon glaze. Whisk lemon juice and powdered sugar very well until smooth.
- Drizzle it over the chocolate zucchini bread when it is completely cold and top with fresh raspberries.
- Chill about 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 366