Vegan Chocolate Brownies surprise anyone who tastes them. These are rich and fudgy yet low in fat. These heavenly brownies prove that vegan baking doesn’t have to be boring. These are egg-free and dairy-free but nothing in their taste is missing. Noone can figure out that these are vegan unless they are told so. And you don’t have to be vegan to make these brownies.
I normally use grated zucchini when making a vegan cake, but as we are not in its season anymore, I used two great substitutions in these vegan chocolate brownies: banana and apple. I mashed the very ripe bananas well and grate an apple. I ca’t say that these are completely guilt-free but these are low in calorie. No eggs or butter in these and I used just ½ cup sunflower oil. If you are on a diet but have a very strong craving for chocolate brownies, you can prefer eating such a low-calorie version.
To add a little more texture and crunchiness inside, I added roughly chopped walnuts. I think walnuts are the best nuts that match chocolate flavor. It’s completely up to you. You can use your favorite nuts and even some chocolate chips maybe. We don’t have vegan chocolate chips here in Turkey and this is the only reason why I didn’t use them.
See our other chocolate recipe videos here:
Vegan Chocolate Brownies
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 24 1x
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1and 1/2 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil or another vegetable oil
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1/2 cup grated apple
- 3/4 cup crumbled walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 13×9 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Mix flaxseed meal and 1/4 cup water and wait for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, stir flaxseed meal-water mixture and sugar until creamy. Add in sunflower oil, banana and apple.
- Add the wet mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until combined. Fold in crumbled walnuts and pour the batter into prepared pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with little cake pieces, not completely clean.
- Let it cool down for 15- 20 minutes and then remove from the pan turning it upside down on paper towel. Remove the parchment paper and let it completely cool down.
- Cut into squares and serve.