Turkish Dessert Tulumba
Turkish Dessert Tulumba is a simple yet tasty dessert!
- Author: Zerrin & Yusuf
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 50 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Turkish
- 3 ½ cup sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 and ½ cup flour
- 2 tbsp semolina
- 1 tbsp starch
- 3 eggs
- Oil to deep fry
- Start preparing its syrup. Put water and sugar in a pot and bring it to a boil. Add in lemon juice and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Let it cool completely.
- Meanwhile start preparing the dough. Put water and butter in a pot. Heat it over medium heat until the butter melts, stirring occasionally.
- When it boils, slowly add in flour. Stir it fast with a wooden spoon until you have a nonsticky dough about 10 minutes over low heat.
- Take the pot from heat, transfer the dough into a mixing bowl and let it cool down.
- When it is cool enough, add in semolina and cornstarch.
- Then break eggs into it one by one and mix either with a spoon or with your hands until you get a creamy batter.
- Fill a frying pan with oil.
- Fill the batter into a piping bag with a star nozzle.
- Squeeze dough pieces into cold oil.
- Put the pan over medium heat and fry the dough pieces until they double in size.
- When they are golden fried, remove with a slotted spoon and transfer them into cold syrup.
- Let them sit in the syrup for 1-2 minutes and transfer in a large bowl.
- Before frying the rest of dough, let the frying oil cold and repeat the same steps.
- Serve warm or cold topped with crumbled pistachios.
- Make sure the dough you cook in the pan cools down completely before adding in the eggs. Otherwise, the eggs will be almost cooked.
- Use scissors to cut the batter you squeeze from the piping bag. Dip the knives of the scissors into oil so that they don't stick to the batter when cutting.
- The oil should be cold when you squeeze the batter into it. Never use hot oil! After squeezing the batter, put the frying pan over medium heat. Cook until the pieces double in size and get a nice golden color.
- When you finish with the first batch, turn the heat off and let the oil cool completely. Only then start with the second batch.
- Calories: 38
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 5.4mg
- Fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrates: 6.4g
- Protein: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 12.4mg
Keywords: tulumba recipe, tulumba dessert