Turkish Chicken Kebab Recipe (Tavuk Şiş)
Baked chicken kebabs in oven are soft, juicy and flavorful thanks to a chicken marinade made with milk, olive oil and spices.
- Author: Zerrin & Yusuf
- Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Turkish
- 500g (1lb) chicken (thighs or breast)
- Dice the chicken in about 1-inch pieces. Remove the bones if you are using bone-in chicken thighs.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl.
- Put the diced chicken in the marinade, give it a good stir. Cover and keep it in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour (overnight is the best).
- Soak wooden skewers for 1 hour so that they don’t burn in the oven.
- Preheat the oven at 400F/200C.
- Thread the chicken pieces on skewers.
- Place the chicken skewers on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. (Please see the note below).
- Bake them for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, flip them over and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Chicken thighs or legs (bones removed) are the best type of chicken to make skewers. They give the softest and juiciest result.
- Marinating chicken overnight will give you the best result. But if you don’t have that much time, marinate at least 1 hour.
- If you like a garlicky flavor on your kabobs, just mash 2 cloves garlic and add it in the marinade mixture.
- If you are using wooden skewers, remember to soak them in water for an hour. This is very important.
- You can place the chicken skewers on a parchment paper lined baking paper. But if you want to give a grill effect, you have two options: 1)Put a cooling rack on a baking sheet and place the skewers on it. 2)Use a baking pan and place the skewers on the edges so that they don’t touch the pan. This is what we do in this recipe. Please see the pictures in the post content above.
- You can add tomatoes and green peppers in the pan so that they bake at the same time.
- Flip the chicken skewers over after baking them for 20 minutes. Then bake for another 20 minutes.
- If you are after a dairy-free marinade, leave the milk out and add in 2 tablespoon lemon juice. You will have equally soft chicken kabobs.
- Calories: 594
- Sugar: 7.3g
- Sodium: 1332mg
- Fat: 34.9g
- Carbohydrates: 8.9g
- Protein: 61g
- Cholesterol: 185mg
Keywords: spicy chicken kabobs, chicken kabobs, chicken kabob marinade, baked chicken kabobs, chicken kabobs in oven