It’s always fun to make thumbprint cookies, isn’t it? This is my third experiment with the blueberries I discovered at our local bazaar this summer. After this White Chocolate Tart and this Sourish Blueberry Marmalade, I knew I had to keep making something sweet with these charming berries! I’m definitely in love with the color of these berries, so I wanted it to stand out in my new attempt. Can you think of a better way than thumbprint cookies to see that vibrant color? If you love to play with foods with such a charming color as much as I do, you should try this recipe!
I used whole wheat flour in these thumbprint cookies and didn’t see a difference in flavor. I loved the brownish texture even more! You can fill them with whatever you like, but I must say that they become divine when topped with that amazingly red blueberry jam!
I made the jam myself, but in a very small amount, just enough for the cookies. If you’re looking for a complete recipe for bluebery jam to preserve in jars, check out this Blueberry Jam Recipe with step by step pictures.
Whenever I make something with blueberries, I remember scenes from Dexter! I LOVE to play with these berries bare hands!
I filled my thumbprint cookies after baked, so the jam topping didn’t lose any color and the flavor was tangy and refreshing. Fill the cookies with a generous amount of jam, the more the better!
This is not a too sweet treat since we don’t like cookies that way. I didn’t want to kill the plain flavor of blueberries with sugar, so I used just ¼ cup sugar for cookie dough and 1 tbsp sugar for the jam filling. You can increase the amount of sugar if you like it sweeter.
These thumbprint cookies are of a very well balanced combination of sourishness and sweetness, so you might want to hide these even from your family! We couldn’t help licking our fingers when taking these pictures and I regret making the jam that little.
See our other chocolate recipe videos here:
Thumbprint Cookies with Blueberry Jam
Whole wheat thumbprint cookies filled with homemade blueberry jam.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Cookie Dough:
- 110g butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 cup and 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- Blueberry Jam Filling:
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbp water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Whisk butter nad sugar until fluffy.
- Beat yolk and add into the mixture, mix.
- Add in flour and salt and mix.
- Chill it for 30 minutes before shaping.
- Line an oven tray with parchment paper.
- Make small balls from the dough, place them in the tray.
- Press on each cookie with your thumb to make dents.
- Bake 15 minutes until golden.
- Let them cool.
- Crush blueberries with hands and sprinkle sugar on it.
- Add in water and cook in a pot over medium low heat.
- Let it boil for about 20 minutes.
- Add in lemon juice and cook until it gets thicker.
- Let it cold and fill cookies with the jam.
- Serving Size: 18