Sweet Potato and Kale Skillet is one of the quickest and tastiest lunches we’ve ever had. Who doesn’t love one skillet dishes? Everything becomes easier when you just throw everything into the same skillet. You don’t even need to serve it on separate plates if you are not serving to a crowd. Two of us always have it right from the skillet. I do love minimizing the number of dirty dishes. You don’t need to pair this already scrumptious meal, but I recommend a big glass of cold ayran, the yogurt drink. Definitely a perfect match! If you don’t have a single idea about what it is just read our How to Make Ayran post and make it yourself.
This Sweet Potato and Kale Skillet is not something we often have. Well, I was actually cooking something with sweet potatoes for the first time so I was quite excited. It was like one of those aha moments for us when we saw sweet potatoes at the supermarket. It’s not grown in our country and we had always wondered about it as we often saw recipes with it around the web. To be honest, it didn’t look cute at first sight. To be honest, I even thought that it was really ugly, but I was still so curious about the inside and taste of it. So we just bought 1 pound. Oh and I must tell you that it is probably the most expensive vegetable we’ve ever bought. It was about 8$ per kilo.
Anyway, when making this Sweet Potato and Kale Skillet, I wanted to develop my own recipe with it and I just listened to my inner voice. It told me to combine this unfamiliar veggie with the veggies we already love: Onion, green and red bell pepper and kale. And a little mozzarella would work fine too. That’s how this one skillet meal came out.
With its orange color, we thought it looked like pumpkin but the taste was not quite like it, maybe in between pumpkin and potato. We loved it! And we have an expensive addiction now! Hope it gets cheaper here soon.Print
Sweet Potato and Kale Skillet
Easy to make sweet potato skillet with kale, green and red bell peppers and onion. Top with mozzarella for perfectness.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 9 oz sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups roughly chopped fresh kale
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated mozzarella
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and saute onion in it until tender.
- Add in peppers and diced sweet potato. Season with salt and black pepper and cook it covered over medium low heat. Stir occasionally but make sure you put the lid over it each time you finish stirring.
- When the sweet potatoes are tender enough, toss in chopped kale and stir. Just cook about 2 minutes. Don’t overcook. Throw grated mozzarella and put the lid back. Cook until the cheese melts and serve immedately.