This Strawberry Pie will become your favorite! These are not my words, my friends who ate this scrumptious pie said so. They said that this was the best strawberry pie they had eaten! “It serves both your eye and your stomach” they said. You can guess how I was honored and proud when I heard these words.
It is already strawberry season here in Turkey and all markets are full of strawberries now! You feel that tempting strawberry fragrance just as you enter a market or even when strolling in an open bazaar. I love that it’s free to taste strawberries before buying, otherwise you might not be sure if they are sweet enough or tasteless. Luckily, the ones I buy from our market are good enough to make something sweet. We need to wait a little more for little and sweeter strawberries to make strawberry jam though.
My husband loves strawberries so much that he buys half a kilo everyday and can eat them all unless I stop him! It has become one of our joys to have strawberries when watching the TV series, Elementary in the evenings.
Strawberry always gives me some positive feelings with its color, smell and flavor; so it satisfies my all senses! It always stimulates me to make sweet treats too, so don’t get surprised if you see recipes with strawberry quite often here after this strawberry pie. It’s just the beginning!
So what makes my strawberry pie so good? First, it has a perfect, not too sweet, zesty pie crust! I don’t use packaged pie crust, I make it myself. It is so easy, so you can make it too! You know what? I use whole wheat flour in this pie crust and it always turns out great!
The pie crust is topped with a yummy vanilla pudding, which is homemade as well. The flavor of pudding on the crust is up to you, but I think vanilla goes very well with strawberry.
The only thing you need to do after the pudding is to slice strawberries and line them on your pie. And you should have enough patience to let it cool in the refrigerator at least half an hour before eating!
I used small pie pans for these so that I can serve them in 5 portions. My friends enjoyed their pies like a pizza. They sliced it with a knife and ate the slices with their hands. They said that they could have bigger bites this way:)
If you love sweet pies, vanilla pudding and strawberries, I’m sure you will be addicted to this strawberry pie, which combines all these!
Strawberry Pie with Vanilla Pudding
Yummy Strawberry Pie with Vanilla Pudding!
- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 55 minutes
- Yield: 5
- 2 and ½ cup milk
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pie Crust:
- 125g butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 2and ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- A few fresh mint leaves
- Start with preparing pudding. Mix everything and cook it over high heat stirring continually.
- Bring the heat to the lowest and cook it stirring occasionally until it thickens, about 15 minutes.
- Let it cool.
- Preheat oven at 170C.
- Mix butter and powdered sugar.
- Add in egg and lemon zest and mix.
- Add in whole wheat flour and mix with your hand. You will have a soft dough.
- Cool it in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Divide it into 5 equal size sif you use small pans and roll each of them in pans with your hand as I did, or just place it in a big one.
- Make small holes on each with a fork and bake for 25 minutes.
- Let them cool.
- Share pudding on each of them equally.
- Halve strawberries and line them on pudding.
- Place fresh mint leaves among strawberries.
- Let strawberry pies cool in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Sift powdered sugar on each before serving.