This Skinny Gluten Free Green Bean Casserole from scratch has the most amazing taste you can expect from a classic green bean casserole. Made with fresh green beans and mushrooms. Topped with fried onions and parmesan. No canned mushroom soup or heavy cream. Plus, onions are fried in very little oil.
I don't even remember how many times we've made this gluten free green bean casserole since I first tested the recipe. Creamy yet healthy. Whoever eats it LOVES the recipe and wants to make it for their family. This casserole is a perfect match for your Thanksgiving menu. Seeing that this casserole is a favorite one among our readers too, we decided to update this post with new photos and with a few changes in the recipe.
I used eggs in the original recipe, but after receiving several suggestions from you, I tried it without eggs and added mushrooms instead. It becomes even tastier this way! Also, I added onion rings as a final topping in this version. We love this updated version better.
This healthy Green Bean Casserole has already become one of our favorite vegetarian dishes. Green beans are my favorite summer vegetable and I mostly make Turkish Braised Green Beans , which is another great vegetarian dish. I also love to experiment new recipes with it like Fried Green Beans because I want to use fresh green beans as much as I can. You know frozen or canned green beans are not even close to the flavor of fresh one.
Besides fresh green beans, we need two more vegetables: Onions and mushrooms. Also, it calls for milk and parmesan, but you can use another cheese that melts well when baking. Also, to make this green bean casserole gluten free, we use cornmeal. As for the oil, olive oil is our choice for this amazing side dish but other type of oil would work fine too. Oh and don't forget salt and pepper!
The idea of this green bean casserole was born when we were enjoying our Skinny Zucchini Casserole. Glad it did! This is a super yummy green bean dish and I can’t believe how I didn’t try it before. I haven’t yet met a single person who hates green beans, but if there is someone you know, please share this recipe. It will be their turning point in the kitchen.
Dairy Products In This Casserole
This is not a dairy free gluten free green bean casserole. For one thing, it is topped with a reasonable amount of cheese. You can definitely increase or decrease the amount for your taste. Besides, unlike most recipes that call for heavy cream, I use unsweetened fat-free milk to give it a milky flavor. If you like heavy cream and don’t care about skinny recipes, use it instead.
How to Make
I use the same pan to cook everything for this casserole. First, I boil the beans and drain. I dry the pan and cook onions and mushroom in the same pan. Then I transfer the cooked beans into this pan and stir well to combine everything well.
The important thing when making this gluten free green bean casserole is to boil the green beans in the right way. So what does that mean? Put green beans in boiling salted water and cook them just for 3 minutes and transfer them immediately into a large bowl full of water and ice cubes to stop its cooking. They will keep their lovely green color this way and your casserole will look even more appealing.
I didn't use store-bought mushroom soup in this recipe. To make it skinny, healthy and tasty, I made my gluten free green bean casserole without mushroom soup. This method is way easier: Cook mushrooms and in a pan, combine them with milk and cornmeal in the same pot. Fold in the blanched green beans and bake them together in a baking pan.
Meanwhile you can prepare the onions for topping, again using cornmeal. Coat onions with cornmeal and cook in heated olive oil until brown. Top the baked green bean casserole with these onions and serve immediately.
Which Green Beans?
Fresh green beans are the best option for this recipe, but use frozen green beans if you can't find fresh. Just thaw them before using in your casserole. No need for additional cooking, so they make the recipe even easier and quicker.
Love green beans and want more side dish recipes with it? Check out the following links!
Other Thanksgiving Ideas You Might Like
Other Casserole Recipes You Might Like
- Cheesy Cabbage In Oven
- Cauliflower Parmesan Casserole
- Vegan Zucchini Casserole
- Healthy Broccoli And Cauliflower Casserole
Gluten Free Green Bean Casserole
Green beans, eggs, milk, cheese and cornmeal make this amazingly scrumptious casserole.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 5 1x
- Category: Casserole
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 lbs green beans, trimmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups chopped mushroom
- 2 cups milk
- 2 ½ tablespoon cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 onions, sliced in rings
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons shredded parmesan
- Boil a pot of salted water and toss in the green beans. Cook for 3 minutes and transfer into a bowl full of water and ice. Let them sit there for about 5 minutes and strain. Pat them dry with paper towel or a clean kitchen towel.
- Preheat the oven to 190C (374F).
- Heat olive oil in a large pan. (You can use the same pot you boiled the green beans. Just dry it beforehand). Saute onions until translucent. Add in mushrooms, black pepper and salt. Cook covered over medium high heat until almost no water left.
- Bring it to the lowest heat. Add in 2 cups milk and 2 and ½ tablespoon cornmeal. Stir well. Cook until it gets thick. Remove from heat.
- Fold in green beans and stir until combined well.
- Grease a baking pan and pour the mixture in it.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, take it out and top with 3 tablespoons of cheese and put it back in oven. Cook for another 5 minutes until the cheese topping melts a little and gets golden.
- Meanwhile coat onion rings with cornmeal. Shake the rings to remove the excessive cornmeal. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Cook the cornmeal coated onion rings until brown. Shake the pan or stir occasionally not to burn the onions.
- Top the green bean casserole with the onions and serve warm.
Keywords: green bean casserole, skinny green bean casserole, gluten free green bean casserole