I made this sauteed chicken with mushroom for lunch. Have you ever picked mushrooms from nature? As a child, I joined my grandma a few times to pick mushrooms in the forest in her village. She looked like a symbol of wisdom to me thoese times. I remember asking many questions about nature when discovering new things there and she would patiently answer all of them. She would also tell exciting stories from her childhood when we were going further in the forest. When we picked enough mushrooms, she would light a fire to roast a few of them and eat right there. We would sit and wait for mushrooms near the fire. I can forget neither the smell nor the flavor of mushrooms I ate there. I can’t tell how I miss those times with my lovely and wise grandma! I wish I had some of those mushroom to add in my sauteed chicken.
The mushrooms we picked were very different from what we buy at markets today. They were brownish and they didn’t have that hat like mushroom top. We call this kind of mushroom kuzugobegi in Turkish. This can be translated as lamb belly, but I really don’t know what is the relation and why it is called so. When I searched on the Internet, I’ve found that it is called morchella esculenta in science.
As we don’t have these brownish mushrooms at markets now, we buy cultivated mushrooms, which I find so cute in shape. I love to use them in different ways, sometimes in the form of side dish (cheese stuffed mushrooms), sometimes in the form of main dish ( sauteed mushrooms). This time I combined it with sauteed chicken and it made a great lunch for us.Print
Sauteed Chicken With Mushrooms
Chicken sauteed with mushroom, garlic, onion and red bell pepper.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 1 chicken breast, cut thin and lengthwise
- 300g mushroom, cleaned and roughly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut lengthwise
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup milk, room temperature
- black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a wok.
- Throw chopped chicken breast into it.
- Saute stirring occaionally over high heat.
- When it releases and absorbs its water, add mushrooms, garlic and red bell pepper. Stir.
- Wait until they absorb the the water they release.
- Pour milk and stir. You can increase the amount of milk if you like.
- Finally toss in chopped green onions along with salt and spices.
- Stir it roughly for the last time and take it from stove.
- Serve hot.