Salted Caramel Ice Cream
Chocolate covered salted caramel ice cream.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Freezing
- Cuisine: American
- 1 and ½ cups sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons alted butter, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon seasalt
- 2 cups whole milk, divided
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or extract
- 160g chocolate, melted in double boiler
- Put the sugar into a medium saucepan in an even layer. Heat over medium heat until the edges start to melt.
- Stir the melted sugar from the bottom and the edges to the center until most of the sugar is dissolved.
- Keep stirring occasionally until the caramel gets an amber color. When you see that color, immediately remove it from heat. Be careful here. If you keep it longer, it might burn.
- Right after you take it from the heat, add in butter and salt and stir until the butter melts.
- Gradually whisk in the cream. If the caramel hardens at this step, don’t worry just put the pan back over the heat and continue to stir over low heat. Stir in 1 cup of the milk.
- Whisk the yolks in a small bowl and gradually pour some of the warm caramel mixture over the yolks and stir constantly so that there is no curdling.
- Pour this mixture back into the saucepan and cook it stirring constantly. Scrape the bottom as you stir so that it doesn’t burn until the custard thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon.
- Strain the custard with a mesh strainer into a bowl and stir in the other half of the milk and vanilla. Let it reach room temperature and chill it in refrigerator for 45 min.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Top with melted chocolate when serving.
Keywords: caramel ice cream, salted caramel ice cream