This is absolutely not a simple carrot cake! It’s beyond our favorite carrot cake! What makes it so unique is the topping. It is topped with Turkish delights and a salep glaze. It is not a traditional cake in Turkish cuisine, I can proudly say that I myself developed it! The result was fabulous! The colorful turkish delights on the top make it more appealing for eyes and salep glaze gives it a very nice flavor reminding ice cream. So this is a perfect cake to surprise your guests!
Yusuf bought a package of Turkish delights to serve guests coming to congratulate us for our baby. Turkish delight is just one of the treats served after the delivery, I will share the others in future posts. There was a handful turkish delights left and I decided to top my carrot cake with them to give it a colorful look. I just used them as topping, but I will add them in the batter as well next time.
And how come I decided to use salep as a glaze? Salep is commonly known as a heartwarming winter drink, which is great for cold days. Did you know it is used in ice cream making as well? Knowing this, I thought a cold glaze with salep on this carrot cake would make it a better summer treat.
I drizzled the salep glaze over the whole cake, but it’s also great when drizzled over the slices when serving to give them more moistness. The carrot cake becomes like an ice cream cake this way.
Colorful with turkish delights and ice cream flavored with salep.
15 minPrep Time
55 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup grated carrot
- ¾ cup milk
- A handful of turkish delights
- Salep Glaze:
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp salep powder
- ½ tsp flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven at 180C.
- Seperate egg yolks and whites.
- Whisk egg whites until foamy. Set it aside.
- Mix egg yolks and sugar until creamy.
- Add in olive oil, flour, baking powder, grated carrot and milk one by one and mix.
- Pour foamy egg whites into cake batter and mix with a spoon.
- Pour it in a cake pan.
- Sprinkle turkish delights on it and bake for 35 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients for salep glaze and cook stirring occasionally until it gets thick.
- Wait it until it reaches room temperature and then chill in refrigerator for at least half an hour.
- Pour it over the carrot cake and serve.