Love sandwich for lunch? Make this easy turkey avocado sandwich with spinach and dill pickles. You need just a healthy avocado spread, leftover turkey, spinach and pickles.
This post was originally published in 2014 and has been updated with additional information.
Turkey Avocado Sandwich is one of the best things you can make with your leftover Turkey. If you are one of those who buy extra large turkey for your Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner so that you can store a lot of leftovers afterwards, you probably have some in the refrigerator now. You might already know what to make with it. If you are in search for some new ideas though, try this ridiculously simple yet sinfully tasty turkey sandwich.
You can make this easy sandwich in smaller size, or open faced just like small canapés and serve as a wonderful appetizer at your next party.
WHAT WE NEED FOR LEFTOVER TURKEY SANDWICH
- Leftover turkey: Make sure you thaw it first if you are keeping it in your freezer.
- Avocado spread: The avocado spread in this sandwich recipe is completely homemade. And it so easy to make. I will explain it below.
- Spinach: I used some baby spinach leaves to give my sandwich a little crispiness. I do love raw spinach, it’s way better than cooked spinach. If there is a spinach hater in your family, just squeeze lime on fresh spinach leaves, sprinkle a pinch of salt, put them on a slice of bread and ask them to try. I guarantee they will start to love this very healthy herb. So spinach leaves are the perfect complementing salads or sandwiches like this one.
- Dill pickles: I can’t think of a yummy sandwich without pickles. They are almost a must for me.
TURKEY AVOCADO SANDWICH CALORIES
This healthy sandwich has 444 calories. It is far from the high-calorie sandwiches loaded with mayo. Creamy mashed avocado makes a perfect spread and you won’t even need the creaminess of mayo. It is packed with healthy fats, protein and irresistible yumminess.
HOW TO MAKE AVOCADO SANDWICH SPREAD
It is super easy to make an avocado spread at home in two steps:
First, mash a ripe avocado using a fork.
Second, squeeze lime or lemon on it, sprinkle salt and give it a good stir.
HOW DO YOU PRESERVE AVOCADO SPREAD?
I don’t generally make the avocado spread in advance for two reasons:
- It tastes way better when fresh.
- It is really so easy to make.
On the other hand, if you have to make it advance or if you have any leftovers after using some in your sandwich, then cover it with a plastic wrap. Make sure it touches right on the surface of the avocado spread to prevent it from exposing to air. It keeps its color this way. Oh and keep it in the refrigerator for sure.
HOW LONG DOES AVOCADO SPREAD LAST?
You can keep the avocado spread in the refrigerator with the method I’ve mentioned above for one or two days. The color and taste will change if you keep it longer.
CAN I FREEZE MASHED AVOCADO?
Honestly, I don’t recommend it. You kill the creaminess texture and that wonderful flavor when you freeze it. You end up with a watery taste, which you won’t desire.
HOW TO REHEAT LEFTOVER TURKEY
You can reheat it in three ways:
In the oven: Preheat oven 350F. Place shredded or sliced turkey in a baking pan and pour some gravy over it. Cover the pan with foil and heat for 15-20 minutes.
In microwave: Put sliced or shredded turkey in a microwave-safe dish in a single layer. Cover it with a plastic wrap(it shouldn’t touch on the surface of turkey) or microwave-safe lid and heat until the meat reaches 165F.
On the stove: Place shredded turkey in a pan, drizzle a little gravy over it and reheat it covered over medium high heat.
Pro Tip: Before reheating turkey, take it out of the refrigerator and keep it at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
CAN YOU REHEAT TURKEY TWICE?
No. You can reheat leftovers only once. Reheating more than once might cause food poisoning.
HOW DO YOU MAKE LEFTOVER DRY TURKEY MOIST?
Pour some gravy or vegetable or chicken broth over the meat before reheating. Plus, cover it with a lid or foil when reheating.
HOW TO MAKE TURKEY & AVOCADO SANDWICH
The recipe has three easy folds.
First, make the avocado spread. Mash ripe avocado with a fork and mix it with lime or lemon juice and salt.
Second, heat sliced or shredded leftover turkey with some gravy on it in a pan over the stove.
Third, make the sandwich. Smear avocado spread on toasted bread. Layer with baby spinach leaves, turkey and pickles. Close it up with another slice of bread.
HOW DO YOU MAKE A SANDWICH BETTER?
There are some points we should keep in mind when making sandwiches:
Use a good sandwich bread. It shouldn’t be doughy or too crumbly. A bread with a fine crust will prevent your sandwich from failing. My favorites are sourdough, rye bread and French baguette. Brioche or challah bread is fine too.
Use a tasty spread. No matter what the main filling in a sandwich is, a spread that is wonderfully creamy and tasty takes your sandwich to the next level. Although mayo is the most common spread in sandwiches, it’s not the only option. I personally love avocado spread way more than anything else. On the other hand, you have several other options as well. For example; salsas, pesto sauce, chutneys add amazing flavor to sandwiches too.
Use herbs. Sandwiches get better with some crispy herbs like spinach, arugula or lettuce.
Use pickles to make your sandwich even more surprising and appetizing. Dill pickles are like a classic ingredient in sandwiches, but you can go with pickled jalapenos too.
MORE SANDWICH RECIPES FOR YOU
- Avocado Spinach Sandwich
- Feta Sandwich
- Healthy Egg Sandwich
- Spicy Chickpea Sandwich
- Tuna Avocado Sandwich
- French Toast Sandwich
More leftover turkey sandwich recipes I’d love to try:
- Open Faced Turkey Cranberry Enchilada Melt on Running to the Kitchen
- Leftover Turkey and Cranberry Sauce Salad Sandwiches on The Healthy Maven
- Turkey Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Cranberry Mustard on Feasting at Home
- Thanksgiving Leftovers Sandwich on The Novice Gardener
- The Ultimate Turkey Club on Oh Sweet Basil
Turkey Avocado Sandwich Recipe
Leftover turkey has never been so good! Simple yet scrumptious sandwich with avocado spread, spinach and pickles.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Reheating
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 spinach leaves
- 2 dill pickles
- 2 ounces turkey leftovers
- 2 tablespoons gravy or chicken broth
- Mash the avocado with a fork. Squeeze lime on it, sprinkle salt and mix well until creamy. Taste and add more lime or salt if needed.
- Heat leftover turkey with gravy in a small pan. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Smear mashed avocado on toasted bread. Place baby spinach leaves. Layer turkey and pickles over avocado spread and spinach leaves on the bread. Close it up and enjoy!
Keywords: turkey avocado sandwich, turkey sandwich, leftover turkey sandwich