Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies would be the best gift for anyone you want to make happy. These are velvety, chewy and amazingly chocolaty. Can you think of a better description for these fantastic cookies? The definiton of ideal cookies consist of these three words for me. And these ones wonderfully match this definition.
I’ve made Red Velvet Cake and Red Velvet Cupcakes, which I thought are perfect for Valentine’s Day, but I have never tried to make red velvet cookies before. Did I tell you before that I’ve been like crazy about the color red for a while? I’m just in love with that velvety color on anything. So I need to try the cookie version. And they have to be loaded with chocolate chips. I mean who doesn’t love chocolate chip cookies? These tiny guys make everything even better since they get more chocolaty.
These Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies are not very different from classic chocolate chip cookies. I used cocoa powder to have that nice velvety color. Without cocoa powder, the cookies would have a very bright red look and your cookies wouldn’t have enough chocolate flavor.
To give the desired chewiness to these red velvet chocolate chip cookies, I chilled the quite soft cookie dough for an hour. This is an important step you shouldn’t skip. If you don’t have enough time for this, don’t make these cookies. Otherwise, you will fail. Plan it ahead for another day.
My red velvet chocolate chip cookies have three different cookies as you can see in the pictures. I know red velvet anything is perfect for Valentine’s Day, but don’t you think these are adorable with the white and pink heart shaped candies? I topped some of them with extra chocolate chips and just couldn’t stop myself from eating a few when I saw they started to melt.
You can top your red velvet chocolate chip cookies with whatever you like. Pink sprinkles would be fine too. You should know the right time to do this though. Top your cookies when you remove them from oven and when they are warm. Slightly insert the chocolate chips or candies on them and then let the cookies cool completely. If you top them when the cookies are cold, they won’t stick.
See our other chocolate recipe videos here:
Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chewy, velvety and chocolaty cookies.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 11 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 26 minutes
- Yield: 40
- 1/2 cup (115g) butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon milk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 and 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup extra chocolate chips for their tops
- Mix butter and sugar with a spatula or an electric mixer until creamy.
- Beat egg in another bowl and add it into the mixture. Mix well.
- Add in vanilla and milk and combine well.
- Beat in red food coloring.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda in a seperate bowl. Add in the dry ingredients and combine well. Fold in the chocolate chips. This will be a quite soft dough.
- Chill the cookie dough in refrigerator for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Scoop out 1 tablespoon of dough and make it a ball. Place on the parchment paper. Bake each for 11 minutes. Don’t overbake.
- Remove from oven, top with chocolate chips or sprinkles and wait on the baking sheet for 5 minutes.
- Transfer them on a wire rack and let them cool completely.