Is your favorite Pumpkin Soup vegan? No? Try this version with potatoes and chickpeas to think again. It will become your new go-to soup recipe!
Fall is in full effect everywhere and I can’t be happier. Watching the change in nature is like the meaning of life to me. Everywhere is full of my favorite colors, my favorite scents and flavors. What’s your favorite ingredient in this lovely season? Mine is undoubtedly pumpkin. Have you seen my latest pumpkin oatmeal muffin recipe, which is a wonderful quick breakfast idea? I’ve been trying to include this amazing vegetable in as many recipes as I can these days. This dairy-free pumpkin soup satisfies everyone’s fall cravings at dinner.
Although it is super tasty and beyond your expectations, the recipe calls for very simple ingredients. Onion, garlic, potatoes, pumpkin puree and chickpeas come together and turn into a cozy soup that appeals to everyone in my family. You will be amazed when you taste this soup.
This is a rich, creamy and velvety pumpkin soup. Plus, it’s gluten-free. I really love how easy it is to make this soup. I used the pumpkin puree I had made from roasted pumpkin some time ago. I always have some ready in the freezer, so things get even easier. If you don’t have extra time for this, you can absolutely use canned pumpkin puree.
As for the spices, I used nutmeg, ground black pepper and cumin in this soup and topped it with red pepper flakes heated in olive oil. You can definitely play with the amount of these spices to your taste.
About This Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Pumpkin Soup
- There is no butter in this soup and I think no pumpkin soup needs it. Pumpkin already gives it a nice buttery flavor.
- It gets its creaminess from pumpkin, I didn’t use heavy cream. In addition, unlike most vegan soup recipes which are made with plant based milk products like soy milk, coconut milk or almond milk, this recipe has only pure water. I could have used vegetable stock, but I don’t think it needs any extra flavors.
- The sweetness of pumpkin is not strong in this recipe. I would grab a Pumpkin Chai Tea Latte if I needed something hot and sweet. I personally love my soup on the savory side. Potatoes and chickpeas balance the flavors wonderfully.
Other Savory Pumpkin Recipes You Might Like
- Red Lentil Pumpkin Soup
- Pumpkin Hummus for Fall
- Pumpkin One Pot Pasta
- Pumpkin Stew Recipe
- Roast Drumsticks with Pumpkin
Other Vegan Soup Recipes You Might Like
- Spinach Soup
- Vegan Cream Of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- Vegan Tomato Soup
- Carrot Soup Vegan
- Turkish Lentil Soup
- Oyster Mushroom Soup Vegan
Pumpkin Soup Vegan
Creamy pumpkin soup with vegan ingredients.
- Prep Time: 5 min.
- Cook Time: 25 min.
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 5 cups hot water
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional Topping:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cooked chickpeas
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add in potatoes and pumpkin puree, cook for 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Pour hot water, add chickpeas and spices. Bring to a simmer.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup and let it cook for about 5-10 minutes on medium low heat.
- For the optional topping, heat olive oil in a saucepan. Sprinkle red pepper flakes in it. Drizzle it over each soup bowl when serving. Garnish with chickpeas and herbs.
Keywords: pumpkin vegan soup, pumpkin soup with potatoes