Poppy seeds are very well known around the world. What about mashed poppy seed? Have you ever tried or even heard it? I made these tasty rolls with mashed poppy seed. It is common in a few cities in Turkey and I’m not sure if it’s produced anywhere else in the world. It is used in bread making and we love its oily flavor in breads! This Poppy Seed Bread is one of our favorites! These rolls are not a typical kind of Turkish pastry, they just came out of an experiment when I had some leftover dough after making this Cheese Tart with Egg. We loved them so much that we’ve made several times since then.
Mashed poppy seed is an ingredient that is so much like tahini since the oil of the seeds is revealed when mashed and has a delicous nutty flavor. You can’t use mashed poppy seed alone as it’s too thick to handle, so mix it with olive oil and arrange it to the right consistency. It’s easier to spread on dough this way.
You can make this dough in the form of a bigger loaf, but I want to make bite size snacks from it. We love to snack on these! It’s better to serve them with tea too! The crispy layers of these rolls are so crispy, which will make you become easily addicted to these! Believe me these go really fast!
I’m inspired by the idea of cinnamon rolls when making these poppy seed rolls, but they are not sweet. These are savory rolls, so you can enjoy them with soups too!
If you love the nutty and oily flavor of poppy seeds, you should give these rolls a try! I think you can find this special ingredient at middle east market sor online. If you can’t find it, you can make a similar one yourself by following the instructions in this Mom’s Poppy Seed Roulade (Roulette) Recipe.
Poppy Seed Rolls
Poppy seed rolls with crispy layers.
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ lukewarm cup water
- 1 tbsp dry instant yeast
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp mashed poppy seed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp yogurt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp nigella seeds
- Sift flour on the counter. Add salt on it.
- Mix dry yeast with lukewarm water and pour it on the flour.
- Mix them together with your hands.
- Drizzle olive oil and keep mixing until you have a nonstick dough.
- You can add a little extra flour to have that result.
- Cover it with a kitchen towel and wait for 40 minutes to rise.
- Preheat oven at 180C.
- Mix mashed poppy seed with olive oil until smooth.
- Divide the dough into 4 and roll them out as thin as a thin pizza crust.
- Spread poppy seed&olive oil mixture on them.
- Roll them up and cut into bite size shapes.
- Line a sheet with parchment paper and place these mini rolls on it.
- Whisk egg yolk and yogurt together and brush the top of rolls with it.
- Sprinkle nigella seeds over each.
- Bake these for 30 minutes until golden.
- Serving Size: 25 rolls