Pea Soup with Meatballs is one of the best comforting dishes in winter. Did I say winter? Well, I think this soup is for all seasons! This is actually not considered even as a soup in Turkish cuisine and we have it as a main dish, mostly pairing it with rice pilaf and yogurt.
Pea soup with meatballs is one of the dishes I remember from my university years. We used to have it at the school cafeteria once a week served with rice and yogurt. That menu was one of our favorites those times.
We make this soup either in a vegetarian style or with chicken, beef or meatballs. My favorite among all is with meatballs. I love their mini size in the soup. They look cute, don’t they?
These mini meatballs are not different from regular meatballs. They are a combination of ground beef, onin and spices. These can be fried in a skillet before going into the soup like some do, but I don’t really think it’s a necessary step. You can just toss them raw into the soup when it’s boiling.
You can use either frozen or canned peas to make this pea soup with meatballs, but use fresh ones in summer when they are in season. In some versions, potato and carrot are also added, but I didn’t use them since I realized that we didn’t have any of these when making the soup.
Make sure you pair it with pilaf and yogurt and enjoy!
Pea Soup with Meatballs
A very comforting soup with peas and mini meatballs.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 2 cups peas
- 250g ground beef
- 1 onion
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 tbsp pepper paste, optional
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Combine ground beef with half of the salt and half of the ground black pepper.
- Grate half of the onion and add it to this mixture. Combine them well and make mini meatballs and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a deep pot.
- Chop the rest of the onion and toss it in the pot.
- Add in pepper paste, garlic and chopped tomatoes, cook for a few minutes.
- Toss in peas and pour hot water over it.
- Add meatballs when it starts to boil.
- Add the other half of salt and pepper and cover the pot.
- Let it cook for about 20 minutes over medium low heat.