This Osh Plov Recipe is a scrumptious rice dish with garlic, onion, carrots and lamb. It is a traditional main dish of Central Asian countries. Rich and filling, this rice recipe is beyond a side dish.
This plov recipe is a special one in Osh city of Kyrgyzstan (Central Asia). And this is not my own recipe, a very kind friend of mine, Jyldyz Chynybekova sent it to me. In fact, she is so kind that she sent a file of Kyrgyzstan recipes with pictures. I’m always very curious about different Asian dishes, so I’m very pleased to publish her recipes here. And this is just one of those exotic dishes. The rest will come later.
Osh Plov Recipe
A scrumptious rice dish from Central Asia. Loaded with onion, garlic, carrot and lamb, this recipe is rich and filling.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 12
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Asian
• 1 kg (2.3 lbs) red rice (or any if you can’t find it)
• 1 kg (2.3 lbs) meat – lamb, beef or chicken
• 1 ½ kg (3 1/3 lbs, 5 large carrots) carrots – yellow is the best
• 3 pieces, average sized onion – any type
• 1 cup vegetable oil – sunflower (you can use lamb fat also)
• 1 tbsp cumin seeds
• About 3 L (3 quarts) water or lamb broth
• 2-3 whole head of garlic
- Saute chopped onions in oil until it gets red, then the meat (chopped into many medium pieces) is added. Meat is fried until a tender reddish crust appears.
- Add the carrots (shredded) and fry it for about 10 minutes. Pour water and stew it for 20 minutes. Add rice, put heat on high. Bring to a boil and tuck a bunch of unpeeled garlic cloves down into the rice. I use a whole head. Reduce heat a little to prevent burning, add cumin seeds, stir and watch it until the water has evaporated.
- Push the rice towards the center. Then poke holes in several places with the handle of a wooden spoon. Cover and simmer until meat, garlic and carrots are tender for 25 minutes and all the water has evaporated. Do not allow the plov to burn.
- Serve rice on a plate and put the meat, garlic on top. Pop the garlic out of its skin to enjoy it. Salads with fresh or pickled vegetables, tomatoes, cucumbers are good additions for enjoying plov.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 199
- Sugar: 2.8g
- Sodium: 534.7mg
- Fat: 11.9g
- Carbohydrates: 17.4g
- Protein: 6.2g
- Cholesterol: 20.2mg