No-Chill Chocolate Sugar Cookies are the easiest sugar cookies with chocolate flavor. They don’t spread as they bake. With crisp edges and soft center, these are perfect holiday cookies!
Am I too late to share the perfect cookie recipe that you can make for Christmas or New Year celebrations? Well, this is sort of a reflection of my life. I’m definitely not happy with this but I can’t find a solution to overcome this. I always make plans but somehow I can’t make them real at the right time.
I made these about two weeks ago. You might have seen the pictures on the instagram but I just couldn’t write the post until today.
Good news is that these no-chill chocolate sugar cookies are for people like me. You can make these at the last minute and pack them as gifts. As the name suggests, you don’t need to chill the dough, which means a lot to me. I often find the step of chilling the dough for an hour or so quite discouraging as this needs to be planned ahead of time. I’m a bit impatient to chill the dough. I’d like to make and taste it as soon as possible.
So when I saw Katrina’s Best Sugar Cookie Recipe, I knew I had to give it a try with a cocoa powder and cinnamon twist.
These No-Chill Chocolate Sugar Cookies are perfect for decorating but to be honest, I’m a little lazy that way. It looks like the decorations will last forever and as a blogger mom, I’m almost always short of time. So I skip that step. I think a little powdered sugar sifted on these dark brown cookies give them a nice snow effect and they don’t need any decorations at all.
Another thing to love about these cookies is that they don’t spread as they bake, so you don’t need to leave a lot of space between each.
These No-Chill Chocolate Sugar Cookies are just crispy on the edge and soft in the center. If you want them crispier, after removing from oven, let them sit on the baking sheet until they are completely cooled.
The only advice I can give about these cookies is that you need to use good quality ingredients. Especially the butter and the cocoa powder you use make a big difference. Never substitute margarine for butter in this recipe or in any other sugar cookie recipe.
See our other chocolate recipe videos here:
No-Chill Chocolate Sugar Cookies
The perfect cookie dough that doesn’t need chilling.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 38 minutes
- Yield: 3 dozens
- Category: Cookies
- Cuisine: American
- 2 sticks (220g) unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- powdered sugar and cinnamon for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180C).
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in vanilla extract and egg.
- In a separate bowl combine baking powder, salt and flour and add a little at a time to the wet ingredients. Stir with a spatula or with your hand until the dough comes together.
- DO NOT CHILL THE DOUGH. Divide into workable batches, roll out onto a floured surface and cut out ¼-inch-thick shapes rather than 1/8.
- Bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes. Let cool on the cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to a cooling rack.
- Sift powdered sugar and cinnamon on each.