Are you looking for new recipes to surprise your family at breakfast? Well, everyone loves pancakes or omelettes for breakfast, but we sometimes need more than these, right? For me, the more foods we have on breakfast table, the easier I literally wake up! Don’t call me greedy, food always inspires and motivates me for the new day! These mini cheese pies always rock at our Sunday breakfasts!
Besides making a satisfying breakfast, these mini cheese pies are perfect for picnic too! You don’t have to heat them before eating, so you can just fill your picnic basket with them and enjoy! The only food you need with mini cheese pies is your favorite drink. Mine would be Ayran or Fresh Lemonade to have a refreshing feeling!
As these cheese pies are small individual portions, it takes some time to make them, but you can make a big one with the same ingredients if you don’t have much time. I love them in mini size, it’s easier to serve and carry for picnics. Kids love this mini version better too!
If you have enough time, you will have fun when making these. You need to roll the dough patties in two sizes. One is for the body, the other and smaller serves as the lid of pies.
I used a usual water glass to cut out the lids. You should first line muffin pans with rolled out dough, put filling into each of them and then seal them with smaller dough layers.
I used two types of filling for these mini pies. One is for vegetarians, the other is for meat lovers. The vegetarian filling is a typical Turkish borek filling, which is feta&parsley mixture. The other is a mixture of sauted ground beef and onion. If you love ground beef, you love spices too, don’t you? This version is spicy enough for your taste!
These can be kept in refrigerator for a week, but let them reach at room temperature before eating. You can heat them too if you want, but personally I don’t think it’s needed.
Mini pies filled with cheese and ground beef mixtures.
1 hrPrep Time
40 minCook Time
1 hr, 40 Total Time
- 1 and ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp salt
- A pinch of sugar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup lukewarm water
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tbsp dry instant yeast
- 1 cup feta
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 250g ground beef
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp chili pepper
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 egg yolk, whisked
- 1 tbsp nigella seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Mix yeast and lukewarm water well. Wait for 5 minutes.
- Sift flour in a large bowl.Add in salt and sugar and pour water&yeast mixture on them.
- Pour olive oil and milk on them and mix with your hands. Knead it for 5 min.
- Cover the dough and let it rise waiting for 45 min.
- Meanwhile prepare fillings.
- Mix crumbled feta and parsley for filling-1.
- For filling-2, heat ground beef and chopped onion together. Let it release juice.
- Add in olive oil, salt and spices and stir.
- Saute it for about 10 minutes over medium high heat.
- It’s done when it absorbs its juice.
- Let it cold.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Dust counter with a little flour. Make balls from dough in two sizes, smaller size will be used to seal pies.
- Roll the bigger ones first, line muffin pans with them.
- Put one of the fillings into them.
- Roll the smaller patties and seal pies with them.
- Brush their top with whisked egg yolk.
- Toss nigella and sesame seeds over them and bake for 40 minutes.