I love little bites! Love the savory ones more! Cheese bites are my favorite! Grab one with your two fingers and take it to your mouth, as a whole! No cutting, no biting, it’s in your mouth just in a second! It’s easy and fun to eat such canepes, which are generally considered as party foods. Party starts even when making canepes as it’s fun too! When there is no coming party, do we have to wait for one to enjoy mini bites? Why not have them at breakfast or at five o’clock tea time? For me, these can be served at any time!
In Turkish we use the word kanepe to describe such bites. Turkish word kanepe mainly means sofa, so I’m not sure how come it defines these small bites too! Maybe it’s because small portions of foods are sitting on a piece of bread. Bread functions as a sofa for them! Cheese is resting on bread, huh? Cute! Wiki says the word canepe is coming from the French word for coach, so there could be such an analogy in French too.
You can make millions of topping varieties. Although savory ones and ones with cheese are more popular, there are sweet versions too. You can spread your favorite jam on canepe bread and top with nuts. If you have unexpected guests and don’t have enough time to make cookies or cake, canepes of any version could save your life!
See our other chocolate recipe videos here:
Mini Cheese Bites
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 8
- ½ cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- ½ tbsp pepper paste, optional
- A pinch of black pepper
- A pinch of cumin
- Salt to taste
- 1 loaf bread or baguette
- 1 tbsp butter
- Heat olive oil and saute onions and peppers until tender.
- Add in pepper paste and tomato, stir.
- Add in spices and cook for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Transfer it into a bowl and mix with goat cheese.
- Cut bread in triangles or squares.
- Melt butter in a pan.
- Put bread pieces in melting butter and heat until a little crusty.
- Spread cheese mixture on each bread piece and serve.