Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies are literally the best chocolate cookies I've ever tasted and made. Super chewy on the edges, super soft on the center and loaded with chocolate with a spicy kick.
I think I’ve found my favorite chocolate cookie recipe. “These have to be your ultimate cookies to satisfy guests” was my husband’s first sentence when he had a bite. I agree. I can honestly describe these Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies as a real Show-stopper! This is a recipe you need to know to impress someone.
If you are making plans for Cinco de Mayo next week, you might have already made your mind about the appetizers and the drinks. What about dessert? You can’t feel ready to the party without a good dessert, right? These Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies are here to help you on this. They are spicy with a hint of cinnamon and cayenne pepper, super fudgy and so inevitably addictive!
I adapted this recipe from a brownie cookie recipe I saw on Pinterest. I spiced it up a bit and ended up with the most amazing chocolate cookie recipe. It’s like you’re eating a brownie in a cookie form and with a spicy kick. If you have never tried even a spicy chocolate before, you might feel suspicious about these spicy chocolate cookies. You might find it crazy to have the sweet and hot flavors together. I can truly understand but trust me on this. The heat is not overwhelming. You feel it at the end, right after you swallow. If you have kids though, it might be better to divide the batter into two and add the cayenne pepper in one of them.
The other spice in these cookies is cinnamon and it’s here to balance the flavors. Plus, your house smells like heaven. If you are not a fan of it, you can leave it out though. Is there anyone on this earth not loving cinnamon?
I think these cookies make a wonderful Cinco de Mayo dessert and they will spice up your party for sure.
More Chocolate Recipes
As always: If you make this recipe, let us know what you think by rating it and leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!Print
Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies
Rich, fudgy, spicy and super chocolatey cookies that are always a winner.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 23 minutes
- Yield: 32 cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 12 ounces (340g) bittersweet chocolate
- 4 ounces (113g) butter
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 and ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup chocolate chunks or chips (semisweet and bittersweet)
- ¼ cup semisweet chocolate chunks for topping
- Melt butter and 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips in a medium bowl over a small pan of simmering water. Stir until smooth and remove it from the heat. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract using an electric mixer until the batter is thick and creamy.
- Reduce the speed and add in the melted chocolate and butter mixture. Beat until combined about 30 seconds.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, whisk together the baking powder, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, salt, all-purpose flour and cocoa powder. Gradually add this into the wet mixture and stir with a spatula just until combined.
- Fold in ½ cup semisweet chocolate chunks and bittersweet chocolate chips mixture.
- Cover the batter and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using an ice cream scoop, drop batter onto the prepared sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 8-10 minutes (I baked for 8 min). The cookies will look set at the edges but still be a little wet in the center. Don’t over bake!
- Let them sit in the baking sheets for about 5 minutes and then transfer on a cooling wire rack. Meanwhile top each with semisweet chocolate chunks or chips.
Prep time doesn't include 30 min. chilling time.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 155
- Sugar: 14.9 g
- Sodium: 46.2 mg
- Fat: 8.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.2 g
- Protein: 2.2 g
- Cholesterol: 25.8 mg
Keywords: mexican hot chocolate cookies