Here is another summer recipe. If you think I will give another ice cream or popsicle recipe, sorry but I must say you’re wrong. If you are craving for cookies, pie or cake but thinking that it’s too hot for such treats, why not try these Lemon Curd Tartlets? They will be a great refreshment due to the amazing smelling lemons on a hot day and will sure satisfy your craving! You will almost feel like you are eating tartlets with Creamy Lemon Ice Cream.
I was going to make lemon tarts, but decided to turn them into mini tartlets when I learnt that there would be extra guests at the weekend. I think bite-sized treats are always better when you are baking for a crowd. They can ask for a second or even third without hesitation because you have many of your lovely mini treats, right?
These lemon curd tartlets were so yummy! Seriously. The refreshing and smooth lemon curd pairs very well with soft and crumbly crust. The crust is more like a cookie, but with a more elegant look thanks to the shining lemon curd on their top. If you insist on making cookies, then check out my Lemon Jam Thumbprint Cookies, which make a great alternative to these lemon curd tartlets.
Never use store-bought lemon juice for this recipe, they will not give the color you want and they don’t have that strong taste of lemon. Just fresh lemons work for these lemon curd tartlets.
I’m not living in the US, but I read on the web that you can find lemon curd at stores, so if you don’t have much time or are feeling lazy, then choose the easiest way and buy some. But I am always in favor of homemade foods. Believe me it’s really worth making things at home and you always see a remarkable difference when compared to store-bought foods.
Lemon Curd Tartlets
Perfect baked treats for summer because these tartles are so refreshing with the lemon curd and lemon wedges on their top. Serve chilled.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Lemon Curd:
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 100g butter
- Tartlets Crust:
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 80g butter, at room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and ½ cup all purpose flour
- 3 lemons to slice and serve on top of the tartlets, optional
- Start with making lemon curd. Whisk 3 eggs, sugar and lemon zest until smooth.
- Strain the lemon juice and add in the mixture.
- Cut butter into pieces and add them in the mixture.
- Cook this in a pot stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Bring to the lowest heat and simmer for a few seconds.
- Put a fine mesh sieve over a bowl and strain this curd through it. Let it reach at room temperature and then chill.
- Now prepare the tartlets. Preheat the oven to 175C (350F).
- Mix the egg ans sugar well with an electric mixer.
- Add in butter and mix until creamy.
- Add in baking soda and stir.
- Add in flour and mix until well combined. Don’t add all the flour at a time, you may need to use less or more. It should be like a soft cookie dough.If it’s still too sticky to shape, add more flour.
- Make small balls from the dough and place them in a regular mini- muffin pan.
- Use your fingers and make deep wells, sticking the edges to the pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from the pan and let them get to room temperature.
- Top the tartlets with lemon curd and chill for about 30 minutes before serving.
- Store the rest in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size: 32 tartlets