Lahmacun Recipe - Turkish Pizza
Thin flatbread topped with a spicy ground meat mixture and baked in oven.
- Author: Zerrin & Yusuf
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 11 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Turkish
- 3 cups flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 and ¼ cup lukewarm water
- 400g (14oz) ground beef, 80% lean
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- ½ cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Whisk together 3 cups flour and 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl.
- Pour water gradually over these and mix with your hand until everything holds together well. It should be a hard dough. You might need to wet your hand a few times when making this dough. Alternatively, you can make the dough in a stand mixer too.
- Slightly dust the counter with flour and transfer the dough on it. Knead it about 5-7 minutes until you have a smooth dough. Give it a log shape about 14 inches(35cm) length. Cut it into 11 pieces. Roll each of them into a ball and place on a lightly floured surface. Cover them with a clean kitchen towel and let them rest until you prepare the topping.
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 450 F/230C. Roll out each piece of dough balls on a floured counter into a thin circle. Place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You can bake two flatbreads in a baking sheet at a time.
- Spread a thin layer of the topping mixture on it. Make sure all parts including the edges are coated well.
- Gently press on the mixture so that it sticks on the dough well and spreads evenly. Bake for 7-8 minutes. Repeat the same steps for the remaining dough balls.
- Change the parchment paper with a new one after baking three times of baking.
- You can make these using whole wheat flour too or a combination of all purpose flour and whole wheat flour.
- You can use your food processor to have finely chopped onions, parsley and tomatoes. Make sure no big pieces left.
- Cooking on the stove: Heat a non-stick pan with a lid over medium low heat. Roll out a dough ball on a floured counter into a thin circle that is not bigger than the pan you are using. Gently place it in the hot pan. Spread the topping mixture on it using a spoon. Gently press on it with the back of the spoon. Cover the pan with the lid and cook it for 7-8 minutes or until you see some marks at the bottom. Repeat for the remaining dough balls.
- You can freeze baked lahmacuns for future eating.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 232
- Sugar: 1.7 g
- Sodium: 452.9 mg
- Fat: 7.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.6 g
- Protein: 10.3 g
- Cholesterol: 25.8 mg
Keywords: lahmacun, Turkish Pizza