Honey Carrot Cake Bars will definitely be one of your favorite cake bars. I’m quite sure you will love these even if you want frosting on your cake. These bars are super moist and they taste so good that you don’t even need any frosting when eating them. The good news: The recipe calls for a little olive oil, no butter and no sugar. I used Greek yogurt and honey instead. So these carrot cake bars can take their place in the healthy desserts category. There are some other reasons why I call these healthy. Continue reading if you are in search for healthy yet yummy cakes.
Greek yogurt is such a great ingredient that you can make wonderful cookies with it omitting butter. Our Healthier Chocolate Chip Yogurt Cookies and Chocolate Yogurt Cookies are my all time favorite butter-free treats. Go check them if you haven’t seen them yet. This recipe does contain some olive oil, but the softness comes from Greek yogurt.
I spiced my cake bars with cinnamon, which is a great spice to balance the blood sugar. So your blood sugar will not increase immediately when you eat these honey carrot cake bars thanks to the generous amount of cinnamon in it. I used one full tablespoon plus one teaspoon cinnamon in the batter and the cake smells amazing even when baking.
To make these bars even healthier, I used honey instead of refined sugar and it really made a difference. It gives them a very nice sweetness and moistness. I used just ¾ cup of honey and the carrot cake bars are not too sweet. You can increase the amount of honey a bit if you like it sweeter.
When you search for a basic carrot cake on the web, you will come accross with hundreds of recipes requiring a kind of frosting. I’m not against it but if something tastes already scrumptious, I think it’s not necessary to add things on it. We should sometimes avoid empty calories, right? Just sometimes.
More healthy carrot recipes I’d love to try:
Bad Ass Breakfast Bars on Happy Hearted Kitchen
Classic Carrot Cake on Amy’s Healthy Baking
Carrot Banana Bread on Strawberry Chocolate Concoction
Zucchini Carrot Cake. Vegan and Gluten Free on Knead to Cook
Eggless Whole Wheat Carrot and Orange Zest Bundt Cake on Lemon in Ginger
Carrot Cake Bars on Maikin Mokomin (Scroll down for English translation)Print
Honey Carrot Cake Bars
A very healthy yet moist and soft carrot cake with no butter, no sugar and no frosting.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 and 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups and 1/2 cups grated carrot
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C).
- Whisk olive oil, Greek yogurt and honey.
- Add in eggs one by one mixing well each time.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Pour it gradually in the wet mixture and stir with a satula until combined.
- Finally, fold in grated carrot.
- Grease a 9×9 baking dish with oil and pour the batter in it.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it completely cool before serving.
Keywords: honey carrot cake