I’ve been away from my blog for a long time because of some health problems. It wasn’t me, but my husband who wasn’t feeling fine. Thankfully, he’s much better now! This means I have time now to share recipes with you! It was like a pickling season here about a month ago and there were green tomatoes, cucumbers, gherkins, unripe melon, various peppers everywhere at our local bazaar. It’s more fun to do shopping at bazaar this season as it’s more colorful. Also, people at bazaar look like they are working really hard to get prepared for the coming winter.
Green tomatoes took my attention first as they reminded me of the movie named “Fried Green Tomatoes”, which was my favorite as a child. Have you watched it? I can’t remember much about the movie, but I have positive feelings whenever I remember this movie. I was so impressed by its name and by the dish those times. I had always wanted to try this non Turkish dish, somehow I couldn’t. I didn’t want to miss it this season though, so I bought a kilo of green tomatoes just to try once. I didn’t remember how they do this in the movie, so I fried them just like how mom fries cauliflower. The result was awesome! We loved that they were crunchy outside and moist and a bit sourish inside.
Fried Green Tomatoes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 4 green tomatoes, sliced
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- ½ cup corn oil to fry
- Put whisked egg in a bowl, panko crumbs in another bowl.
- Heat corn oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Dip tomato slices first in the egg mixture, then into panko crumbs and place them in hte hot pan. Fry them until golden on both sides.
- Take them on a plate covered with paper towel to remove excessive oil.
- Serve with a mixture of strained yogurt, garlic, chopped fresh dill and red pepper flakes.