Easy Mexican Rice is one of those amazingly tasty side dishes that can even be served as the main course. The little guy in our family is a big fan of plain rice so I cook it often, but I wanted to make a change this time to make it a more flavorful with a higher nutritional value. So this tomato loaded rice came out and he ate a full bowl of it.
This Easy Mexican Rice recipe is adapted from Favorite Family Recipes’ Restaurant Style Mexican Rice. I’ve heard lots of good things about Mexican food, but haven’t tried many recipes. So I’m quite happy to have this successful result. I’ve tried it several times and I had the same scrumptious result each time. So I think we’ve already become Mexican food fans with this Easy Mexican Rice!
If you know how to make plain rice, I must tell you that this easy Mexican rice is not very different. Just the amount of water or chicken or beef stock will be less as you add tomatoes, so be careful. I mean if the tomatoes are too juicy, you might even need to reduce the amount of water in the recipe. So I suggest you to use pureed tomatoes when measuring, not chopped ones. The juice will definitely differ.
This easy Mexican rice tastes and looks like the filling I use for vegetarian cabbage rolls or stuffed grape leaves. I usually have leftovers after I stuff vegetables and cook the filling in a pan without sauting the rice beforehand. All ingredients go into the pan together and you have the easiest side. I must make it for you soon to share the exact recipe. Maybe regular Mexican rice fans will love my version too.
I can’t just follow the recipe as it is even it is something new to me. I feel like I must have my touch on it. So I added chopped green onions and a little dried mint besides cilantro. Probably the traditional Mexican rice doesn’t have these, but I definitely recommend you to try these.Print
Easy Mexican Rice
Very easy Mexican rice loaded with tomato flavor and some more wonderful additional flavors.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint
- 3/4 cup pureed tomato
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 and 1/4 cup plain water (or chicken broth)
- Heat olive oil in a large pan and saute chopped onion and green onion in it.
- Add the rice and lime juice and saute until it gets lightly brown.
- Add the garlic, salt, cumin and dried mint and stir well.
- Add the pureed tomato, cilantro and water. Turn the heat up to the medium high.
- Bring it to boil and then turn the heat to low, cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer for about 20 minutes until it absorbs the juice.
- Remove from heat and serve hot.
- You can garnish with green onions and cilantro when serving if you like
Recipe adapted from Favorite Family Recipes