Salmon is not found in seas of Turkey, it comes to our country from Norway, so it is quite pricy here, about $16. I don’t know whether or not this price is expensive in other countries, but when it’s compared to other fish found in Turkey, it is absolutely high here. For example, it is possible to buy anchovies (hamsi) or mackerel even with a price of $3 or less while seabream and sea bass cost around $8. So salmon is not preferable for most people, it’s not very common and many people here don’t even know about this precious fish.
However, there has been an increase in salmon sale in Turkey for some years thanks to doctors. As salmon is a great source of omega 3, it has numerous benefits to health and doctors recommend their seriously ill patients to have salmon.
We were at the fish market waiting for our package the other day when a lady came and asked me how I would cook those salmon fillets. Sharing my recipe with her, I told how easy it is to make herbed salmon because its bones are not troublesome and it is almost like chicken. Then she told me she was buying it for her dad, who has cancer. She said that his doctor advised her dad to eat salmon. This fish helps renewing cells in our body with omega 3 it contains. I felt definitely sorry for her dad and couldn’t help thinking why it isn’t affordable enough for people to eat it as a precaution against such illnesses.
Easy Herbed Salmon
A flavorful way of making salmon!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 2 1x
- 2 salmon fillets (about 7 ounce each)
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ lemon, squeezed
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- a few sprigs of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- Prepare marinade by mixing all ingredients in a bowl. Place salmon fillets in them coating with this marinade and wait them in this sauce for about half an hour.
- Then place them in a baking dish and cook them in pre-heated oven at 180 C about 30 minutes.
- You can serve them with chopped green onions, red bell pepper and boiled broccoli.
- This would be a healthy and tasty dinner with a quality white wine.