Are you one of those with a strong chocolate obsession? Then you will love this double chocolate cake! Well, I wasn’t planning to make it with double chocolate flavor. I just wanted to make a simple chocolate cake topped with sifted castor sugar, but then I remembered the leftover chocolate sauce from yesterday’s chocolate tart. Why not use it on this chocolate cake?
This simple chocolate cake without the chocolate topping has a light flavor and texture and it is scrumptious as is. It’s a great treat with coffee or tea. You can enjoy it in the afternoon or take it to work to share with some colleagues. Imagine you have a slice during a break at work, I’m sure you will be even more motivated to complete what you’re doing at that time.
I sifted castor sugar on the cake and then remembered the sauce in the refrigerator, so you don’t need it since it will be topped with chocolate sauce.
Love it completely covered with the sauce!
If you like sweet things in the morning, you can have it at breakfast too! Chocolate flavor will help you wake up and you will feel more energetic for the new day!
If you find it too chocolatey with the sauce, just leave the sauce out. It has a nice hazelnut flavor inside and you will love the combination of chocolate and nuts. If you don’t have hazelnuts in your pantry, you can use walnuts or pecans too.
I recommend you to try it with the sauce though. This simple chocolate cake becomes a special treat when topped with chocolate sauce. The sauce turns it to a moist and gooey cake. It is like a chocolate heaven with the cocoa powder in the cake and dark chocolate in the sauce.
Nothing else can satisfy your chocolate craving better than this cake! Chill it at least for half an hour before serving to have the best result.
See our other chocolate recipe videos here:
Easy Double Chocolate Cake
An easy chocolate cake topped with chocolate sauce.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Chocolate sauce:
- 1 ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 and ½ cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- ¾ cup milk, at room temperature
- 1 and ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp chopped hazelnut and a little extra for topping
- To make the sauce, heat heavy cream in a pan.
- Once it reaches a boil, take it off the stove and set it aside.
- Add the chopped dark chocolate into the pan of cream and whisk it in until the mixture is smooth.
- Chill the mixture in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven at 180C.
- Mix sugar and olive oil.
- Add in egg and mix until smooth.
- Add in other ingredients one by one and wix well.
- Share it into two small cake pans and bake for 25 minutes.
- Let them cold.
- Top mini cakes with chilled chocolate sauce and chill for another 30 minutes.
- Top it with crumbled hazelnut and serve cold.
- Serving Size: 2 mini cake pans