If you are still looking for a foolproof chocolate cookie recipe, you are at the right place. These chewy double Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies are the EASIEST cookies EVER! Super chocolatey thanks to the chocolate cake mix and chocolate chips. You can even make your own variation by using different add-ins.
Who doesn’t like shortcuts when it comes to baking? And cake mixes are used right for this purpose. They make baking way easier, especially for those who are new bakers or if you are short of time.
These double chocolate cookies are soooo easy to make with a box of chocolate cake mix plus a few more ingredients. I promise these are way easer than going to a bakery. Everything easily gets together in a bowl and ready to bake in 5 minutes.
Oh and you will feel so proud of yourself when you get the first bite. Everyone will LOVE these bakery style chocolate cookies that are made out of chocolate cake mix.
CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX COOKIE RECIPE INGREDIENTS
You need ONLY 4 ingredients for this recipe:
- A box of chocolate cake mix such as Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker or homemade (15.25 ounces/432g/2 cups)
- Oil such as sunflower oil, vegetable oil or olive oil
- Add-ins: I use chocolate chips to have that double chocolate flavor. But you can add whatever mix-ins you like. Raisins, oatmeal, shredded coconut, sprinkles or nuts are some alternatives. Or you can even prefer making your cookies without any add-ins. They will still be good.
HOW TO MAKE COOKIES OUT OF CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX
The recipe is quite straightforward with four easy steps:
First, put your chocolate cake mix, eggs and oil in a large bowl and combine them well.
Second, fold in chocolate chips or whatever you like in your cookies.
Third, scoop the dough into balls and place them 2 inches apart on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Fourth, bake them at 350F/180C for 10 minutes. Optionally place extra chocolate chips on each right after you remove them from oven. Let them cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer on a cooling rack.
Pro Tip: If you want your cookies thicker in shape, chill the dough for 30 minutes to 1 hour and then shape them into balls. This method will help them keep their shape.
CAN I MAKE COOKIES WITH OTHER CAKE MIXES?
Yes, you can make wonderful cookies with white cake mix, strawberry cake mix or spice cake mix using exactly the same method.
CAN I USE BUTTER INSTEAD OF OIL FOR CAKE MIX COOKIES?
Yes, you can substitute softened butter for oil if you like buttery cookies. 1 stick of butter will work for this recipe.
CAN YOU FREEZE CAKE MIX COOKIES?
Yes you can. Follow these steps to freeze them properly:
- Make the cake mix cookie dough as explained in the recipe card below.
- Shape the dough using a scoop or roll it into balls. Place them on a baking sheet without leaving any space between each.
- Put the baking sheet in the freezer and freeze for 40 minutes or until the cookie balls freeze.
- Remove the frozen cookie balls from the baking sheet and put them in freezer bags. Keep them in the freezer for 3 months.
- Make sure you write the date, temperature to bake and baking duration on the bag.
- When you want to bake, thaw them on a baking sheet. Make sure you leave about 2 inches between each because they will spread a bit as they bake.
- Bake them following the normal recipe.
FAQS ABOUT MAKING COOKIES
Why Are My Cookies Too Flat?
Here are some reasons why your cookies are too flat:
- The amount of flour you add is not enough.
- The amount of butter is too much.
- The dough is too sticky.
How Can I Prevent My Cookies From Getting Too Flat?
Use the exact measurements given in the recipe. And chill the dough in the refrigerator at least for 30 minutes to 1 hour. If you love the shape of the cookies in this post, you don’t need chilling. If you like them thicker, go ahead and chill the dough before shaping.
Do Cookies Harden As They Cool?
Yes, they do. Cookies are still super soft when they are removed from the oven. They continue to bake and harden on the baking sheet. The longer they wait on the baking sheet, the crispier they get. Most recipes suggest 2-5 minutes. Transfer the cookies on a cooling rack to stop cooking.
How Do You Make Cookies Chewy?
Here are some tips to make chewy cookies:
- Use brown sugar only or half white half brown sugar in the cookie dough.
- Add a tablespoon molasses when it is possible.
- You can omit the white of an egg and use two yolks instead.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 3-5 minutes and then transfer them on a cooling rack.
How Long Should I Chill Cookie Dough?
Well, it’s not necessary for all cookie recipes, but if you want your cookies won’t spread much, chill the dough at least for 1 hour. It takes longer for the fat in the dough to melt when baking this way, which helps the cookies spread less.
OTHER CAKE MIX RECIPES
OTHER CHOCOLATE COOKIES
- Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies
- Chocolate Strawberry Cookies
- Chocolate And Marshmallow Cookies
- Molten Chocolate Cookies
- Chocolate Yogurt Cookies
OTHER EASY HOLIDAY COOKIES
- Melting Moments Recipe (With video)
- Mini Meltaways Cookies
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
- Lemon Crinkle Cookies
Easy Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
Easy-to-make double chocolate cookies made out of chocolate cake mix
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 25 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 15.25 ounces chocolate cake mix (432g/ 2 cups)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil (sunflower or olive oil)
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven at 350F/180C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put your chocolate cake mix, eggs and oil in a large bowl and combine them well using a spatula.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Scoop the dough into balls and place them 2 inches apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Optionally place extra chocolate chips on each right after you remove them from oven.
- Let them cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer on a cooling rack.
- Keep them in an airtight container for 4-5 days at room temperature.
If you want thicker cookies, chill the dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Then shape and bake.
Keywords: chocolate cake mix cookies, chocolate cookies made with cake mix, easy double chocolate cookies