This recipe is from Ozlem, one of my friends from school. It was last year when I had the chance of eating this yummy sweet thing. She invited us (hubby and me) to her home for watching a movie together. This would be our first visit, so we didn’t want to go there with empty hands ( This is a Turkish expression that means ‘without a gift’). We thought that it would be great if we had something sweet while watching the film, so we bought some baklava on the way to her home.
A few hours before we left home, she called and told us not to go there with full stomachs. This means that she would cook something for us. In our culture, it’s a sign of politeness to say that you will prepare some foods for someone indirectly and you just say “Do come hungry!” or “Don’t eat anything before coming”, something like that. As a response, you are generally supposed to say “Please do not tire yourself, we can cook something quick together as we want to spend time with you, the food is not so important”, something with this meaning. It is again a sign of politeness. However, I’m sure people get curious about the foods they will meet as soon as they hear the first kind of expression. I love this implicit dialogue between host and guests. Then it’s like a surprise for you to see the foods prepared by the host.
We were fascinated by the tempting smells coming from the kitchen by the time she opened the door. She is a sincere friend with a very nice smile, so she made us feel comfortable as if we were at our own home. She welcomed us to her kitchen and it was a great surprise for us to see several amazing foods on the table all of which served very well to our eyes. And luckily there was a lot of room for these foods in our stomachs. Again for the sake of politeness, we said “ It’s very kind of you, but you needn’t have prepared all these. We could have a simple breakfast together and that would be enough for us”. Of course three of us knew that nothing would stop us eating those well prepared dishes.
Besides several amazing foods, she prepared a yummy apple pie, which was unforgettable for me. It was way yummier than it looked. I couldn’t miss that opportunity of learning a new recipe of a dessert of course. She generously shared the recipe with me. And I’ve made it several times since then.
We had great time together eating these delicious beauties and watching the movie Valkyrie. At the end of the night, just when we were leaving, she sighed “Wait! I forgot to serve the fruit cake I made! It was in the oven and completely got out of my mind!”
Different from her original recipe, I changed the type of the biscuits in its ingredients and also I added walnuts. She used plain tea biscuits, but I used a kind of digestive biscuits this time. I think mixing these two types of biscuits would be great, too. You can use any kind of sweet biscuits that are like crackers.
Other Apple Desserts You Might Like
- Apple Compote Recipe
- Apple Walnut Cookies
- Baked Cinnamon Apple Slices
- Apple Cinnamon Quick Bread
- Apple Bars Recipe
Easy Apple Pie
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Turkish
- 2 packages digestive biscuits
- 4 apples
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup crumbled walnuts
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Pistachio and mint leaves for garnish
- Crumble the biscuits in a bowl.
- Peel and grate the apples. Saute them in a pan, add sugar and cinnamon and stir occasionaly.
- Cook them until they are not juicy anymore, about 15-20 min.
- Toss the crumbled walnuts and mix them all.
- Wet the bottom of a baking pan so that you can take the slices from the tray easily.
- Put some crumbled biscuits at the bottom as the first layer, then spread the apple mixture on this layer. Mix it gently.
- Then pour the rest of the biscuits as the third layer and the rest of the apple mixture on it.
- You can make small touches to dampen the biscuits with the warm apple mixture.
- Wait until it gets cold.
- Whisk the whipping cream until it gets stiff enough.
- Spread this whipping cream on the pie. And wait it in refrigerator at least 5 hours.
- Decorate it with pistachio and mint leaves before serving.
- And a cup of black tea or coffee will be perfect to serve with this easy and yummy pie.
You need to chill it at least 5 hours.
Keywords: apple pie easy, apple dessert