Don’t you think that these ginger cut-out cookies are perfect for the New Year or Christmas celebrations? Are you still looking for a reliable recipe for ginger cut-out cookies on the last day of 2013? If you love crispy and not too sweet cut-out cookies, you can definitely trust this recipe and you can quickly make it for the celebration before your guests arrive or you can make and take these in small bags to the host if you are invited to somewhere.
I had decided to name these cookies as Basic Ginger Cut-Out Cookies until Yusuf’s mom wanted to decorate these in the concept of New Year. Don’t you think these look amazing? She’s so kind that she worked on these until late hours. It was a surprise for me in the morning and I was impressed when she saw me the cutest ever cut-out cookies early in the morning just when I was leaving home for work. I changed my mind then about the name of these cookies as they are beyond basic now! OK the dough I used is still basic ginger cookie dough and I’m sure it’s the recipe to make you smile when welcoming 2014.
If you don’t want to fail, please pay attention to these tips: The butter you use must be at room temperature and easy to mix. The egg must be at room temperature too. Also, make sure that the ginger powder you use is fresh. You can’t get a good result if it is sitting in the jar for months! It might cause your cookies to taste stale. Finally, chill the dough before cutting it out for about 1 hour. This helps you roll it out easier and the flavors combine better this way.
She used writing icing in various colors and crystal sprinkles for decorating. You can find these at cake decoration shops and make your own creations.
These ginger cut-out cookies keep for a week in an airtight container.
Ginger cut-out cookies decorated for the New Year!
20 minPrep Time
17 minCook Time
1 hr, 27 Total Time
- 180g butter, at room temperature
- 1 and ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- ¾ cup corn starch
- 2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 cups and 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg.
- Add in starch, ginger powder and vanilla and mix.
- Sift flour and baking soda into the bowl and mix with a spatula.
- Cover it with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven at 180C and line two oven trays with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into two and roll them out on the slightly floured counter until ¼ inch thick.
- Cut out your cookies with your choice of cutters and place them one inch apart in the oven tray.
- Bake them for 17 minutes.
- Let them completely cool and then either decorate them or just sift a little powdered sugar on them before serving.