Classic Homemade Lasagna is one of the best crowd pleaser meals. An ordinary dinner can easily turn into a wonderful feast with this comforting lasagna. This is a recipe everyone should learn. Classic meals are always loved it’s for sure that you will be admired if you know a classic recipe well. You don’t need to know anything else to please your family and guests if you can make this lasagna well.
Besides how to make a classic homemade lasagna with a hearty tomato beef sauce and cheese sauce, there is a a bonus recipe in this post: How to make lasagna noodles from scratch. You will never want to use store bought noodles once you learn how to make it at home.
First things first. This is not my recipe. It’s a recipe of 5 people with the guidance of our friend Kadir, a passionate family chef. Don’t worry, it’s not because the recipe is very difficult and you don’t need anyone to make this amazing lasagna. It was like a weekend activity for us with some lovely friends. You can imagine we have friends that are as passionate about food as we are and we love to work with friends in the kitchen. We had been planning to gather and cook something together with Kadir and his wife for a long time and finally yesterday was a great opportunity to use his new pasta machine.
When we first decided to make classic homemade lasagna, I didn’t know that he was planning to make the pasta dough as well. I was really excited to hear that we would even make the paste at home. So it wouldn’t be wrong to say that everything in this lasagna recipe is made from scratch. The flavor is definitely unique when you make the lasagna with homemade pasta, but if you don’t have a pasta machine or don’t feel like making it yourself, you can still apply the recipe using packaged lasagna noodles.
He didn’t use any mixer when making the dough, he kneaded it with his hands. I’ll be honest, it didn’t seem very easy to me. To make the pasta dugh, he combined eggs, flour and little salt. As he didn’t add any water, the dough was quite hard. When I offered to help him knead the dough, he gently told me that it needed man strength. So if you decide to make the pasta dough yourself, you had better use a mixer.
This classic homemade lasagna is layered with a hearty and flavorful tomato beef sauce, which tempts you to dip bread into it and a cheese mixture. Unlike most of the lasagna recipes, we didn’t use Béchamel Sauce as none of us liked it. We prepared a cheese mixture using three kinds of cheese instead.
We gobbled this scrumptious classic homemade lasagna in no time. It was so good that we started to plan the next time we could make it again, doubling the measurements for sure. Thank you Kadir for this UH-MAZING lasagna that will never forget!Print
Classic Homemade Lasagna
The best lasagna with beef and cheese mixtures.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
Pasta Dough (Lasagna Noodles):
- 2 and 1/2 cups flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Cherry tomatoes and fresh basil leaves for topping
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 and 1/2 cups feta, crumbled
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded plus 1/2 cup for topping
- 1 cup parmesan, grated plus 1/4 cup for topping
- Heat olive oil in a large pot and saute onion in it until translucent. Add in the ground beef and garlic, cook it for five minutes breaking up the meat until there aren’t any blocks. Continue cooking for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until it changes the color and releases juice. Add in the spices and stir.
- In a small bowl mix tomato paste with 1/4 cup water well and pour it over the beef. Add in the crushed tomatoes and stir. Cover the pot and simmer unil it thickens, about 40-50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the sauce is done and still hot, add in chopped basil leaves and stir.
- In another bowl, mix everything for the cheese mixture leaving the cheeses for the top aside.
- You can start making the pasta dough when the sauce is simmering. Pour the flour on the counter and make a well in the center. Break the eggs in the center and beat with a fork.Using that fork, gradually mix flour into eggs until the dough holds together. Dust the counter with flour and knead the dough until firm about 10 minutes. Make it a ball and divide into 4 balls. Wait it for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F and grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Now you can make the lasagna noodles. Dust the counter with flour and flatten one of the dough balls. Don’t use a lot of extra flour or it gets really tough. Set your pasta machine to the widest setting and pass the dough through. Fold the dough into thirds like a letter and pass it through 2 more times. Switch to the 2nd setting and pass all the dough sheets through the machine. Switch to the 3rd setting and pass the sheets again. Repeat this step switching to the 4th and 5th setting.
- Cut the dough sheets in squares or just in the same size as the inside of your pan.
- Spoon a little of the beef sauce at the bottom of the baking pan. Make the first layer of lasagna noodles on it overlapping slightly. Spread some of the beef sauce over the lasagna sheets. Make another layer of lasagna noodles and spread some cheese mixture on them. Repeat this until you finish the lasagna noodles.
- Finally add the remaining cheese mixture on the top and place cherry tomatoes over it.
- Bake for 40 minutes, remove from oven and spread the 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup parmesan on the top. Bake it for another 10 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Let it rest for 15 minutes or so and garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve hot.