Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread is made with kefir and homemade pumpkin puree. Perfectly moist with a wonderful combination of flavors. Everyone falls in love with this pumpkin bread with chocolate chips and warming spices. It always disappears on the same day I make it!
Use Kefir In This Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake
Have you tried kefir in your baking yet? Give it a try with this recipe! Kefir not only helps the moistness but it also gives a subtle tangy flavor that complements the pumpkin sweetness. The only problem about this pumpkin loaf cake is that it disappears too quickly! We baked it the other day and everyone devoured it. Almost nothing left. Believe it or not, the very little leftovers tasted even better the next day because the flavors of pumpkin and spices blended much better.
If you can’t find kefir, use buttermilk or yogurt instead.
How To Make Pumpkin Bread With Chocolate Chips
Start with whisking sugar and eggs until pale in a large bowl. Add in the wet ingredients like olive oil, vanilla extract, pumpkin puree and kefir. Mix well.
In another bowl, whisk together the flour, spices, baking powder and salt. The spices I use are cinnamon, ginger and turmeric because these three make my favorite spice combination for fall baking. Gradually sift this dry mixture into the wet mixture. Fold in chocolate chips and bake for 50-55 minutes. Let it cool completely before you slice it.
Moist Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread Recipe
Just like my favorite recipe for pumpkin cornbread, this recipe is made with homemade pumpkin puree. It gives a nice moistness to the bread. In addition, kefir as one of the wet ingredients helps the moistness too. The baking time might sound a long time, but don’t worry. You won’t end up with a dry pumpkin bread. The pumpkin puree in the batter needs that time.
Make Your Own Pumpkin Puree!
I didn’t use canned pumpkin puree for this chocolate chip pumpkin bread recipe. I used homemade fresh pumpkin puree. It is really easy. Just slice the pumpkin in large chunks and roast them in an oven pan until tender. Puree it in a food processor. Depending on the pumpkin type you use, you can add a little water when blending it. (Watch the video below to see how to make pumpkin puree in oven)
The pumpkin I used was sweet enough, so I didn’t add any sugar on them. If the kind of pumpkin you use is not that sweet, you might sprinkle some sugar on the chunks. We ended up lots of pumpkin puree, more than needed for this pumpkin bread. So I just put the leftovers in zip bags to keep them in the fridge for future recipes with pumpkin puree such as healthy pumpkin oatmeal muffins, pumpkin energy bites and Pumpkin Waffles.
Other Pumpkin Recipes You Might Like
- Pumpkin And Cake Mix Muffins
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
- Easy Pumpkin Scones With Glaze
- Pumpkin Spread Recipe
- Buttery Cinnamon Rolls With Pumpkin
- Yogurt Cake Recipe With Pumpkin
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies With Chocolate Chips
Making Pumpkin Puree In Oven
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
Insanely moist pumpkin bread loaded with fall spices and chocolate chips.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 10 1x
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (See the video above)
- 1/2 cup kefir
- 1 and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Butter a 9X5 inches loaf pan and line it with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs and sugar in a large bowl. Add in olive oil, vanilla extract, pumpkin puree and kefir. Mix well.
- In another bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually sift the dry mixture into the wet mixture.
- Put 1/4 cup of chocolate chips aside for topping. Dust the remaining chips with a little flour and fold in the mixture.
- Pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Place chocolate chips on its top right after you remove it from oven.
- Let it cool completely before slicing.
You can definitely use canned pumpkin puree if you don’t feel like making it yourself. Making the puree is not included to the time of baking.
Keywords: pumpkin bread, chocolate chip bread, pumpkin recipe
This post was originally published in 2016 and has been updated with new pictures and additional information.
Other Chocolate Chip Bread Recipes
- Greek Yogurt Zucchini Chocolate Bread
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe