Marinade The Chicken:
- In a large bowl, mix together yogurt, oil, lemon juice, tomato paste, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, black pepper and salt.
- Add the chicken thighs in the marinade and toss well. Make sure to coat each chicken piece well with the marinade.
- Cover the bowl and let it sit in the fridge for 3 hours. It is even better if you marinate it overnight.
Skewer The Chicken and Bake:
- If you are using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for 20-30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400 F / 200 C. Line a large pan with foil. We will place the skewers on the top rim.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge. Take two skewers and thread chicken pieces onto them, one side on one skewer, the other side on the second skewer. Push each chicken piece you thread against the previous one.
- Repeat with another 2 skewers for the remaining chicken pieces.
- Place the skewers on the top rim of the prepared pan. Make sure the chicken pieces are hanging only and not touching the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until it gets a nice golden color.
- Remove from the oven, flip the kebabs, take a spoonful of the juices in the pan and pour over the kebabs. Bake for another 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, baste again with juice and let it sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Carve The Chicken Doner Kebabs:
- Place the kebabs upright and slice as thinly as possible using a sharp knife.
Serve In Wraps or Sandwiches:
- To make wraps, put some salad (finely chopped lettuce, red cabbage, onions, tomatoes, cucumber) on a flatbread, top it with chicken doner kebab pieces and roll it up.
- To make sandwiches, fill a doner bread (or pita) with some salad and chicken doner and enjoy.
- To serve it on plates, prepare a doner plate by assembling chicken doner, rice, potato chips(optional), salad with lettuce, red cabbage, tomatoes, cucumber and pickles all on a plate. You can still add some flatbread on the side.